1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Analysis Plus Cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassistloaded21, Apr 26, 2010.

1. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I use Analysis Plus Yellow Flex Ovals for every inch of my guitar signal... and yes, when I replaced my Monster Rock connectors with the APs it made a HUGE difference. I felt like I was hearing my Gretsch breathe for the first time.

So of course, I had to try replacing my Monster Bass cables with APs from my guitar rig. Frankly, I couldn't hear much difference if any. Certainly not enough to invest in the AP cables for my bass rig. I use Monster Bass to run lengths and those little right-angle cables you get out of the jar on the counter at GC for my pedal board. With my active EBMMs the setup sounds great.

Perhaps in a studio setting I might be fussier... but on stage I do not believe that you or your band or your audience would hear a difference. Go for durability... which of course might lead you right back to AP (I know their top-of-the-line cable is so thick it hardly even bends).

My #1 criteria for any cable is a lifetime warranty. I love how anytime a Monster cable goes out (which is infrequently, IME), you can just walk into GC and slap it on the counter and they give you a new one, no questions asked. That's my kind of customer service.

2. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Perhaps retailers should install 'talent meters' and sell the really expesive cables to those of us whom are talent-challenged. I would probably have the world's most expensive cabling system. :cool:

3. Try us, you'll find that there's a pretty high standard of education on TB.

You'll find that all through this, my point has been if you are hearing a difference between cables, it is because one of them is removing something from your sound. To which you called me "plain wrong". So, are you thereby implying that your cables are adding to the sound? By doing that they are introducing energy into your signal, therefore defying one of the primary laws of physics? (and if so, we better start hooking those up to power plants or something, that'd solve all our energy problems).

You heard a difference, we explained WHY there is a difference, and you just seemed to laugh and refuse to understand that the cable you like just happens to remove less from the original signal, or possibly remove more from the signal, than the other brands you played, resulting in something you found to be more pleasant to your ears.

I used to quite like Klotz cables, tho I had a few go bad on me over the years, and (well the ones I had) were sealed at the jacks with rubber, so it wasn't easy to fix. Tho, one day I'll grab them out the "spares" box and just solder on some new plugs.

No, I've not played that particular cable. But I don't need to have played it to explain the physical effects going on. And, as you see, I have never once stated that I have used them. As said, if there is no placebo effect, then the difference is that these cables are either removing more or less from your sound than the other cables that were tested and it just happens to be in a pleasant way. (But the OP does not seem to understand this point).

Sorry for not replying to this earlier, missed it. But aye, I think you're right.

That must be quite nice. Tho I must admit, other than my afore mentioned Klotz cables, I've never broken any others. Always take good care of the cables these days!

4. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I haven't tried one. I haven't tried Tommy Cooper's magic wand either. I don't need to. ;)

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I feel like I should clarify my slams on the OP's education.

The problem here is NOT whether you heard a difference. I would bet you cash money that every single person who posted here "against" the cables would freely agree that you heard a difference.

The problem is that you don't understand why you heard a difference, or what it means; and you don't know the difference between subjective perceptions and objective reality (which I'll define for purposes of this discussion as that which has the same properties no matter who is looking at it or listening to it).

A well-educated person knows that individual perception is heavily filtered by the patterns established in our brains. We do not hear words, we hear disturbances in the air which happen to correspond to the patterns we have cataloged in our brains. This is why we can understand somebody who is speaking through a poor cellphone connection, or speaking with an accent, or speaking Pig Latin. Our brain parses those sounds against familiar patterns, changing the sounds into something that makes sense. In the same way, any type of sound we hear goes through a filter that tries to match the sound against what we expect to hear, so that it will make sense. Only afterward does it form as an idea for us to think about and compare with other ideas.

The short version: saying "I know what I heard and you're wrong because I'm a musician and I don't care what it says in a textbook" is an abject display of ignorance about how hearing works.

That is the entire source of the disagreement--NOT whether the cables sounded good or different to you.

6. bassistloaded21

bassistloaded21 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yea, lets not insult my education because of a post about expensive cables, kinda shows YOUR ignorance, not mine. Slam away, everybody thinks theyre something theyre not online, in reality, its always a whole different story. Like ive said, multiple times, Ive stated my opinion, and i heard a difference, for whatever reason. If i heard a difference, thats all that matters, my cables, my gear, if you think id be wasting money, good for you. My money too lol. Thanks for you input, everybody. No need to dissect this as much as it has been, was a simple question, didnt require a scientific answer. Thanks though. You guys are really smart!

7. As you seem to enjoy doing, you have avoided the majority of the responses once again. And as has been said a countless number of times, we simply explained why you heard a difference. You were right on one thing tho, people are all talk on the internet:

Aye, your welcome 'ken :rolleyes:

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Who's Tommy Cooper?

9. For shame!

[​IMG]

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    He's a guy with a magic wand that does **** all. ;)

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Ah ok.
    ...and that's the point...my AP cable does a lot less than most the other cables I tried and use, which is a good thing :).

12. Now you get the idea :)

Random trivia tho, considering you don't know who Tommy Cooper is. I'm sure you've seen the pun where someone dies on stage and the show is continued with their feet still sticking out from under the curtain.

That was based on what actually happened to Tommy Cooper, he died on stage, and he was so well known for just doing the odd random thing, that people thought it was part of a gag :eek: , it was on national TV and when they realised, they just had to drop the curtain and try and revive him then and there, I cant remember why, but there was some reason that they couldn't remove him from the stage.

(tho granted, in reality his feet werent sticking out from under the curtains, it was just some media rumor that went around after his death)

[/tangent]

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    What idea do you mean I get now?
    Sorry, you lost me on that one .
    I've always been looking for a cable that does "nothing" to the signal when and that's what I mean when talking about cables I like...the AP is good in that regard.
    Maybe I'll change to coat hangers If I ever start using instruments with onboard pre. :)
    Thanks for that story on Tommy Cooper:).

14. Again, only really if you have a passive bass, where cable capacitance can have the impact of reducing the treble response of the instrument just a touch. The most 'neutral' cable I've experienced with a passive bass is the George L cables... extremely low capacitance.

To show the strong impact of visuals on what we think we here, some say the George L's sound 'thin' (and of course, the tiny little wire 'suggests' that result). However, what they are hearing is that touch more open top end due to the extreme low capacitance of those cables (again, you would only really notice with a passive instrument with some good, relatively new roundwound strings on it). Really nice cables.

On the opposite end of that capacitance spectrum (and I'm sure a few other things that impact the tone slightly) is the Monster Bass cable, which sounds a bit dark and fat, since the design seems to be reducing the top end. That's probably the only cable I would not use, and the only one that, even with an active bass, sounds just a touch different (darker.. hence the 'bass' description).

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    As said before, I use passive instruments and agree that in this scenario, the effects of different cables is more noticeable.:)

16. Not really related to the topic at hand. But I bought a length of george L cable to make up some patch cords. It's so stiff compared to most (even with the narrow diameter)!

17. The thicker diameter is horribly stiff... hate it. I have no problem with the thin stuff, but agree, it is a bit stiff and tends to 'bird nest' a bit if you aren't careful.