1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Analyze the frequency level of tracks from The Low C# Theory.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, May 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If TB members can't be respectful and feel the need to take personal pot shots please do not post in this thread,

I need at least 4 people who are willing to analyze the low frequency response of the lowest bass lines from the CD The Low C# Theory and tell me what you come up with.

Jauqo III-X | The Low C# Theory | CD Baby

TB'er Stick Player did it but his agenda is not with out prejudice .

His results can be found in post # 160 of the below linked thread.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f16/low-c-clarity-771240/index8.html

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'm interested and have the tools, I'll do it. Please tell me exactly what passages you want analyzed, by what time in what cut, since my software on my web computer (Room EQ Wizard, which is freeware BTW) only does 1.5 second snips. I can post waterfall plots of a few snips in this thread.

Also, you posted a pay site for downloading the clips. I can easily circumvent that, but only if you are OK with that. ;)

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I think the best way to compare would be to analyze the same tracks and sections that Stick Player analyzed. I don't know what tracks and sections from those tracks that he analyzed.

Hey Stick Player what track(s) did you analyze.?And what were the section(s)?

But feel free to analyze the lowest bass notes possible from the track(s) of your choosing.

4. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    In the interest of being completely impartial, I would prefer to analyze a few brief clips of someone else's choosing. I can do the edits and host the 1.5 second .wav clips on my web site for others to listen to and analyze, if that's agreeable. I'm not so sure that CD Baby sample clips are the best way to go for this though, in all honesty.

5. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    You'll need tracks without drums.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I agree.

Let me see if I can get you individual files of each song.

7. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Audacity will do about ~20 sec - I can do it if you don't have access.

It'd also be worthwhile showing the spectrograms for a couple of pre-agreed "non-low-C#' pieces as a comparison.

Agreed. Sample clips usually have a lot more compression than the real thing, which would mean that we are seeing a worse picture than actually exists.

Wav or Flac if possible, please. 320k mp3 with all the quality knobs at max if not.

If someone can get the files to me I can do the plots.

8. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    By all means, get this started. I can't fire up my dedicated audio workstation until tomorrow due to WAF on the holiday...;)
    I do have Audacity, WaveLab, and several dedicated spectrum analysis programs on my other computer. The one I'm posting on is only set up for websurfing and a little casual audio dweebing.

9. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    OK, here goes....

First, here's what Audacity gives for a 23.8 sec stretch of a 17Hz sine wave, i.e. pure fundamental.

17hz.

Second, as a reference to give context here's the first 23.8 seconds of Zappa's "Peaches en Regalia"

pr.

And finally, here's the first 23.8 seconds of track 4 from JAUQO III-X's "The Low C# Theory". This was the 99c purchased MP3, not the sample clip. A .wav mix would still probably be better.

lct.

I'll leave comment and conclusions to others for now, though I may weigh in with comment later.

edit: If anyone wants to see corresponding data for other material, or from other parts of track 4, please let me know. (If I don't have the file you'll have to provide it).

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If wav or other high-fidelity clips become available, I also have the tools and the interest in doing it. :)

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Come on with it Bongo(and no I'm not being sarcastic).

12. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Here's a short snip from clip 4 of the demos, but translated to WAV form. Jauqo, does this represent adequately or should I hunt for something better? It'd be nice to have something with no other instruments at all.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    That's kool Charlie.

14. Actually mp3 clips will probably be fine for this sort of low-frequency analysis, no need for wav files... Most of the data that gets lost or garbled in mp3 conversion is high-frequency detail.

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    I thought the compressor also filtered the <20Hz material. Am I wrong?

16. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    All the spectrum analyzer software I use requires .wav or .aiff files anyway. No big deal to convert, but someone is bound to object, just watch...;)

So here's a waterfall plot from the .wav file I just posted, just the first .3 seconds though:

[​IMG]

17. Here is a C#0 being played by itself, courtesy of octave4plus string. It's a .216 gauge string http://garrygoodman.com/216 O4P .216.aiff

18. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Thanks, that's more like it, but it looks like F#0 actually:

[​IMG]

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Yes Alexander, Garry's C# is .216 gauge while my string is .195.

The difference in gauge does make a difference

20. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Jauqo, how does your scale length compare to Gary's?

I'm guessing that something is amiss in some way in the sample I used from your album. It looks like E1 is ringing sympathetically, or else is actually the primary plucked note right there.

I am off to a gig in a few minutes, but will check back in in the morning if not late tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.