1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anatomy lesson

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thumbzilla, Nov 12, 2006.

1. thumbzilla

thumbzilla

Apr 28, 2006
    Mentor, Ohio
    I was looking at Fender home page the other day reading thru the specifications of the basses. I was trying to figure out the differences among tham all. In the "frets" section, they frequently referred to "medium jumbo" frets. Jazzes sometimes said "custom jazz". :meh:

Does that mean there could be "large jumbo" or "small jumbo" or "medium regular" or "medium small", etc? Are they referring to the height of the fret or the width of the space or what?? :confused:

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Both actually. Medium jumbo is usually about .106" wide X .036" tall, where a jumbo is about .103" X .046". They have bigger and smaller based on that. Medium regulars, I believe are about .096" wide X .047" tall and this is what I prefer.

3. however, that is the measurement pre-leveling/dressing, so it is usually less