Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anbody have experience sending gear to the BassTasters?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mbulmer, Oct 31, 2005.

1. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    I'm seriously considering sending my new bass to Todd at BassTasters and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with shipping them gear to demo for their site? Not that I don't trust them, but some firsthand experience would go along way towards reassuring me, before I ship this all the way to Washington state.

2. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    bump

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    It will be tended to well and turned around pretty quickly - just be certain they know it's coming.

4. i dont see the purpose of shipping your bass, just play it man. You obviously know you like it.

5. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Thanks for the reply Skip. I'll definately be letting Todd know before I ship the bass.

Mike: The purpose of shipping the bass is not for my benefit. I like the Basstasters site and figured that since they don't have a Pedulla (And probably never will without someone lending them one) I might send mine so that other people would be able to compare it with the various basses on their site. It's basically my way of giving back to a site that I have gotten alot of use from, that has never asked anything of me.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    to me it wouldn't be so much a matter of trusting Todd as it is trusting any shipping company.

And this is only my opinion but I would think it would be more logical for Pedula to furnish a bass.

I know that didn't address your question. :)

Anyway, good luck whatever you decide.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I can speak as someone who shipped somewhere 8 and 10 preamps to basstasters, you have nothing to worry about.

Definitely talk to Todd first, he's very busy with work and more than likely will want you to send it at a time suitable for him.

And that's another thing to remember: since most of the basstasters equipment was on loan, he won't be able to go back and re-record clips with that bass and the other preamps.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Todd, apologies in advance because I don't know the first thing about how your operation works.

That said, I think it would be great if someone could undertake to do outreach to manufacturers on Todd's behalf and obtain a set of 'loaner' heads and cabs.

This is in the manufacturer's interests because they are providing a 'fresh' head, vice one that may have been retubed, modded, or just aged. Same for cabs--I would maintain that cabs DO change their tone over time.

Consistency is clearly the core challenge in any effort like Basstasters. I would think manufacturers could be made to see it for the excellent opportunity that it is.

9. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Mike Pedulla isn't going to furnish a bass. He has no trouble at all filling enough orders to suit his tastes, in fact he downsized in the mid nineties to be able to do more hands on work with his basses. I think he's only making about 200 basses a year as opposed to 6-700 10 years ago, so getting enough business is certainly not a problem for him. With that in mind I figured I could part with mine for a few weeks to let Todd demo it. Not that setting up a system for manufacturers to send out loaners isn't a good idea, I think it could be a great idea.

I'm going to email him again in a week or two to get his address and set up a time for me to ship it, that'll work for him. I have some of my own recording that I'd like to get finished before I send it off.

Thanks everyone