Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

and again (sorry, no choice)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tresdirnt, Dec 13, 2001.

1. I'm just picking up the double bass, and instead of asking you guys the same questions you've been asked a million times before, I was wondering if any of you knew of a website that could take me through the basics. I have already been confused by such terms as "carved bass". Thanks. I swear that I have searched through past threads, and had no luck.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    TREEDIRT,

"Carved Bass" simply means a solid wood bass, as opposed to a laminated (plywood) bass. There is a great thread around here entitled "How to Buy A Double Bass" by reedo35, have you found that one yet? It answers a lot of newbie questions. If I remember correctly, I think that www.acousticbass.com also has a FAQ on their homepage. But seriously, if you've already searched the archives here, just go ahead and ask questions - after all, that's what the board is here for. Don't worry, we won't bite.

Much. :D

Ask away!

Sincerely,

FSCOTCH&SODA

3. We all start life a blank page; no problem there. We only get on people who really make an effort to be fools.

4. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    And of course the key newbie (and even oldbie) instruction: GET A TEACHER!

-dh

5. This does not seem to be working..I was trying to direct him to..Double Bass Pedagogy...If any of you guys know the correct link..sorry.

6. http://users.lvcm.com/mariani/bass/

7. I HAVE A TEACHER!
    I'm the only person at my school wanting to learn the double bass, yet there are 2 basses there. He says I'm aloud to take one home to practice (what a nice guy).

8. I've never seen anyone playing a double bass with a bow? HUM? Whats going on. Do people use bows on double basses when playing with orchestras or something? And can any bass be played with a bow? (you did say to ask questions, or at least one of you did....)

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the extreme curvature of the bridge on a double bass facilitates arco (bowed) playing, whereas an electric with a straight bridge renders useful arco playing impossible.