1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

and... another new Bass thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Highfox, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Highfox

Highfox

Mar 10, 2010
    Finland
    I just picked up my new mia standard Fender- J :)
    was kind of hoping it might have a 2010 serial but it's a 2009.
    (very) Quick sound clip I made using the Pandora PX5 for transfer lol;
    and the bass it's self;
    [​IMG]

2. Haha. funny you say that. About a month ago I picked up a similar bass (p, but MIA standard, 'burst, rose fretboard) and it's an '08!! I almost brought it back to the store, but I love it so much and didn't like the other, newer, ones I tried. So perhaps if you did track down a 10 it wouldn't sound as good. :D

3. Nice bass. Remember the older wood gets the more dried out, light, punchier...

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Not only that, but a "Z9..." S/N might actually be a '10. Remember when the "new" American Standards came out in '08? Some of the early '08s have a "Z7...." S/N, but have all the new upgrades (HMV bridge; new-style case; etc.). I have one of them.

A guy at Fender told me one time that they are "assigned" a block of numbers each year. At the end of that year, if all those numbers have not been used up, they use them for the first batch of the new year's model. So the number after the Z isn't always an accurate depiction of the year of the bass.

5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    ...BUT, that does bring up another question, since it's a new decade. For example, the Nineties S/N's started with "N" plus the year and the rest of the S/N. (Example: A '93 would usually be "N3....") When 2000 rolled around, the first letter designation was a "Z". So a 2000 model was usually "Z0..."; an '06 would be "Z6..."; etc.

Does anybody know what letter the 2010 - 2019 American models will start with?

6. Shadi

Shadi Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Carbondale, IL
    The new fenders start with a "10" prefix....no letters.

7. I haven't seen a "2010" serial Fender bass yet.....if you look at the brand spanking-new American Deluxe in that thread, it is a "Z9" (2009) serial.

Interesting that they are apparently going to change their numbering system rather than use "O0" (one-zero), which would be confusing.

Roger

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020