Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...and back to asking advice...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, unfortunatly, my rig went out the door when my mom gave me the "option" of getting a computer (i.e. computer or nothing), because she didn't want me spending the money on a new bass rig...so now I'm back to asking advice...

Ok, A lotta you guys were suggesting that I shouldn't get an 8x10, so I was thinking about another set up, it's be more expensive, but maybe more versatile: a 2x15 and a 4x10. 15s for some lows, 410s for some mids/highs and better definition, with a head. Would a cab setup like this be optimal? Much less to move two smaller cabs, that could be used speratley, or towgether, or would 2 410 cabs be more advisable? Just wondering what opinions ou guys have on this...

2. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I would go for a 15" and a 410 or 210. I think a 215 and a 410 would be overkill. And I like the air movement of the bigger speakers....but thats just me :)

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    4x10 and 1x15.

4. 4x10 and 1x15 or (2) 4x10's.

5. Dude....Need more info, what kind of gigs are you playing?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn...so, what 1x15 unit would you guys reccomend? I've already had an Idea for the 4x10(s?) in Ampeg, but I haven't spent to much time on 15's....

7. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    Get an amp that can support 2 cabinets and start with the 4x10", you can always add on it your amp can handle it. Then tell your mom you need some music software (e.g. cakewalk) for your computer.

8. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    thinking of a 2x15 AND a 4x10? Let us know what stadium your playing your next gig in so we come and watch.

That sarcasm has been brought to you JEALOUSY. I would say you are pretty lucky to have those options while still in school. I'm assuming that, since you are still under your moms control. Of course if your an adult and your mom still tells you what to do, i'm only jealous of your futur setup.

fisk

9. If you have your own truck, why not an 8x10? But if you depend on your mom for rides, better not hack her off. Get something that fits her car.

Total volume doesn't necessarily mean lots of drivers. You can get an efficient, compact cab like the Epifani 2x12 that's only 75 lb. but will put out 103 dB (1w@1m) and will take 1000w @ 4 ohms for a total calculated 133 dB, which is a truly stupefying level.

There used to be a keyboardist in our high school with a Hammond B-3. The band rehearsed at his house (his folks didn't have a vehicle capable of transporting it, plus they didn't mind the volume). But considering the SPL of a band in which the bassist has to use an 8x10, rehearsing in your house might not be an option for you.

10. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I have a hartke head and a swr goliath II 4-10 and a old peavey 15! But iam soon to change the 15 to a warwick or a old ampeg!

11. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I'de look into Bag End for a 15".

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well... in response:

I figure that 2x15 and 4x10 would be pretty killer, for use as both seperate, and combined setups, so that either could be used. Probably just going to get 1x15 or just 2 4x10s or somthing.
    I live at home (I'm 16 for you that don't know), but I don't depend on Ma for rides, got my own car (car, not truck...sigh) but I am still under parental control for a coupla years. And, as always, I work my butt off for the money for the gear, I don't get it silver spoon fed (unlike some spoiled guitar players in my area), so whatever I get, is outta my pocket...

And I'm always one for overkill, so :D:D
    I still might get the 8x10s, but at this point, I have a LOT of time to think about a new rig...

13. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    You also have the option of getting an 18" to go under your 4x10. That would push a ton of air. For and 18" I'd only go with SWR or BagEnd which are essentially the same cabinet.

14. Yeah, I'd have to say SWR and Bag End make the best 18 inchers around.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    id go the 4x10 route 1st. then get a nice 15 to compliment it. 8x10's are impressive but i think they are over kill and dont get as much bottom end that a 4x10 1x15 set up do. A 2x15 cab imo is muddy. 1x15 is quite sufficient