...and here I thought I had it all figured out...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirtDog, Jun 3, 2004.

1. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    So, I took the plunge and bought a new Stingray a year and a half ago thinking that this was the cat's ass for basses - these best bass that I had ever owned and will ever own after owning and/or playing a string of "lesser" basses - including a P-bass.

Yesterday, I played a buddy's 5 year old Fender Jazz Bass (MIA) and just couldn't beleive how good it felt in my hands...it was like reaching nirvana.

What to do?!?!?! (Rhetorical Question)

2. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Do what I do. Own a boatload of EB and Fender basses.

And along the way, get a Rumblefish or two.

Everyone wants to be like me, it's just that most of them don't know it yet, heh heh.
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Get a Sterling.

It feels more like a Jazz bass but has the Stingray sound all the way, plus some extra ones.

4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Do not sell your Stingray!!! You just need more basses. So... when are you getting a jazz? :D
  5. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep, you're just developing a nice GAS ball: Buy extra guitar stands
  6. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    I am not arguing what bass is better, which one feels better...etc, that's a matter of opinion, but have you played a zon sonus 5?
  7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    pffh, forget the fender, you NEED a new Ritter AND a Carl Thompson!
  8. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    And don't forget your Conklin and Alembic; they're waiting for you.[​IMG]
  9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    because of the choices: fender J and musicman Stg you should buy a lakland, the founder of lakland liked both basses so he made a bass that was a crossover beetwen those two masterpices, the xx-94 series bass.
  10. what does GAS actaully stand for?
  11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    gear aquisition syndrome
  12. thanks i knew what it meant from context becasue everyone says it, but i didnt know what it actaully stood for
  13. tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    Now I am worried I have a Jazz love to play it but gassing for a ray 5er. Gotta see how this turns out.

Seriously if you have a Ray and want a Jazz go til you find a good nuff MIM Jazz. IMHO.

14. I did it just the opposite way, from my Fender Jazz (mexican) to a stingray. I like the feeling of having a thick or wide neck, otherwise, it feels like I'm having a toy in my hands :eyebrow:

Anyway, don't sell the stingray, you'll regret that your whole life. sometimes, quality AND quantity are the best thing to go for :smug:
    Like suggested, A Sterling would be very nice if you like the jazz because of the neck. But if you really, really, really like a jazz so much, just buy a Jazz, as simple as that :D (if you've got the cash of course)
  15. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    why don't you get a warmoth/velenti jazz with MMs in it?
  16. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    It's not that freaking complex and you don't need a zillion other basses. You like your Stingray. You like the Jazz.

Keep the Stingray, save your pennies, buy a Jazz.

More is more better.
  17. Yeah, what he said! :D
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I was actually just thinking that.

Send Nino a PM and let him know that you want a bass with a Jazz feel and a Stingray sound.

Im sure he could throw together a killer bass with a MM pickup on a jazz body and neck. He knows what he's doing. I have my second one on its way now.

19. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    It would seem that having multiple high-end basses is just the most sensible thing to do.... :D

Since I already do that with bikes, it'll be an easy transition....

20. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    get a (good) warwick. i get every sound i need from it.