Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And I solved my problem...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Sep 11, 2002.

1. So...As I've said before, my Hartke3500 was out of it for a while...I and my brother thought it was the tube...His own comparison(when I first bought my amp)"A tube is like a light bulb, they all go out eventually."I took it a little bit more seriously than he expected...when I first thought it was my tube, all I knew was to buy a new one and HOPE it worked, I looked for JJ Teslas, JAN, Sovteks, TubeWorks, and Groove Tubes, anything in my price range....That would work...BUT first I thought about the "light bulb" analogy...And I thought, Blown lught bulb=blown tube?Good lightbulb=Good tube?When you shake a good tube, does it rattle like my own?(as I found out today, NO) When you shake a good light bulb does it rattle like a blown one?(as I found out a long time ago, NO)So, I called my local music dealer, and he said he had 1 tube, a Groove Tubes - GT12AX7R, and I said "OK" Got it today, stuck it in there(Actually, placed in with kid gloves is more like it).And plugged it up to my 18" Bottom cab(My only, so it's also my top cab)and BOOM, the sound when I turned it on was amazing...It was punchy, articulate, and bassy...My god...I can't wait to go to practice, I was in 30-Watt-Hell...Wait until I throw this against my guitarist's Crate GFX212, I'm gonna see how HE likes being blown away...Being a bassist is sooo much better with a larger amp....