Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And I thought I was a slabber for life.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Wilbyman, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Just got a new electric. Digging it. However, I just realized that I've played about three electric gigs in the past year and 2-3 DB gigs a week. Is this how it happens, slowly and insideously?

I don't think we choose the dark side, I think it chooses us.

Just a thought.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I know yer just being funny, kinda.

But in all seriousness, with me, that was just the sound I heard in my head. Like dying your hair blond, but still seeing yourself as brunette in your dreams.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I might be the only one round here who's this much a noob, but I started playing upright after I heard Avishai's first record. The whole record and sound was too awesome for me to keep slabbin.

I am kinda being funny, seeing as how I go through cycles of slabbin and non-slabbin just like everything else.

I think the thing I notice the most about *myself* is that I typically blame bad BG sound on the bass (or some gadget) and bad DB sound on myself. I think there's alot of truth in that. Somewhere.

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    No sir, I think I have the title of the biggest noob here. I just been reading too much to ask too many stupid questions. I rocked slab for years, the DB put a coolness in my soul. My Kay speaks, I am just learning how to translate my soul into her language. On the odd occasion when mental groove meets physical ability, all is good in the world.

Mike

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I hear ya Wilbyman, I get mostly DB gigs these days to the point where I've been thinking of starting up a rock band just so I'll have an excuse to play some BG instead :rollno:

I recently sold off all my 5 string BGs and a few amps. One of the things I did with the proceeds was buy myself a better bow :cool:

I'm actually contemplating whether I should thin the herd further...I've still got 9 BGs. If I sold a few more I might be able to bankroll another (better) DB. Yeah, that's the same GAS which led to me owning a dozen BGs in the first place :help:

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Dizzam. I've got 4 and that's 3 too many.

What kind of bow did you get?

Will

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    What if you suffer from MBS and hear more then one sound in your head, and so far you have died you hair purple, then red and then blue?

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Time to shave. Everybody's doin' it.

Seems like there's plenty of slabbists who really like their work, so I just try to leave it to them, other than some session work. I think I'm seen as a DBer, so I'm happy with that. The more you play it, the more people seem to want to pigeonhole you into one or the other. Fortunately for me, that's DB.

9. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    One day they're scowling at your for bringing the DB and the next day they're scowling at you for whipping out the slab. I think one of the main reasons I *always* bring my DB nowadays is that it's a visual thing people want to see. I'm fairly certain I could make it swing as hard with my electric, but I always get some heckling like "where's big bertha" blah blah blah.

Of course, that's not denying the sound differences applicable in a jazz setting. I haven't heard a slab which will get that big room-filling sound "bloom" that a properly amplified DB brings. It's kind of the difference between a stereo with a subwoofer and one without. You can't EQ it into an electric (BG), at least not one I've heard.

10. kip

kip

Sep 11, 2002
    Sausalito, Ca