And I thought truck nuts were stupid! (selfie statue content inside )

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 5StringBlues, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 2016-06-01T11-50-29-4Z--1280x720.today-inline-vid-featured-desktop.jpg

I'd really like to hook a chain up to this and pull it down with my car. Ridiculous.

Your thoughts?

2. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Yup, pretty stupid..."Hey, let's erect a monument - to narcissism!" :thumbsup::banghead:

Oh well. It's been pretty obvious for quite some time now that we, as a species, are headed over the cliff...this is us getting a little closer to the edge...:rollno::roflmao:

superdick2112, ak56, Mktrat and 3 others like this.
  3. Tribute to narcissism.

Well put sir.

Aberdumbie likes this.
  4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i like it.

bobba66 likes this.
  5. It needs me sitting on their shoulders...sans pants..... To be truly effective... ;)

6. Like the statue or not, this is part of our culture now. No biggie.
    BTW... the artist who created this is quite good.

2016-06-01T11-50-29-4Z--1280x720.today-inline-vid-featured-desktop.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    Oddly, FunkHead and Luke19Boarder like this.

7. This is true.

And here's an aspect of the statue that I didn't think of:

"On Reddit, a commenter going by the handle the_green_ranger predicted that “in 30 years, I bet you that people will see this statue and say, ‘Hey, remember when we used to do that?’ That’s what a statue is for.”

I still think it's silly, however.

47th Street and Paladin54 like this.
  8. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I have more trouble with the difference in season attire between them. Massive scarf and what looks to be a light coat vs a lady t and a light unbuttoned shirt. It totally ruins my immersion.

9. When are we going to see you in a selfie with them? :snaphappy:

Hey @elgecko! :smug:

10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    And I thought the existence of enough consumer demand to necessitate creating the position of jeans distressor was as low as we could go. Silly me.

As a bonafied old fart, I realize now what the old farts thought of us when we were in our 20's, and why.

Oh well, i find a certain comfort (cold as it may be), in having survived long enough to realize myself and my opinion are no longer relevant.

5StringBlues likes this.
  11. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue Secretly Queen of the Moon

I wanna get a cute little car like a MINI or a Fortwo and put truck nuts on it.
    Because I'm a beast.

--^@

47th Street and 5StringBlues like this.
  12. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    For people who haven't taken a step back and thought about the way selfies fit into our culture and what the practice might say about us, something like this might provoke that line of thinking, and that gives it artistic value.
    Selfies taken with the piece will become sort of like personalized portable versions of it. Interesting.

Oddly likes this.
  13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That's not a scarf, it's a python. And it's choking her. Her face, frozen in a grimace.

47th Street and Funky Ghost like this.
  14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You ever been to a college campus????? 80% of girls walk around in Umbro shorts and tiny tank tops and furry boots! Seeing a lady with a scarf standing next to a lady in a light sweater is nothing compared to seeing a girl dressed for winter from the knees down and the summer from there up.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Honestly, the "selfie" is nothing new. And, in and of itself, is not a sign of the decline of Western Civilization (among MANY signs thereof). Even before cameras were able to take pictures of ourselves, we would simply stop and ask someone else to take a pic of us at the Grand Canyon or Disney.

It is more a sign of technology than anything else. Back in the days of film or Polaroid, it COST a lot to "goof off" with a camera. You couldn't afford to experiment with taking 10 pics of you and your besty with the Statue of Liberty in the background until you got it right. You had to hand your camera to a stranger and hope they got it right on the first take. Now with 64GB memory on digital phone cameras, we can snap away just for fun and just delete the bad ones.

"Selfies" aren't new. Wanting pics of ourselves with friends and family isn't new. Even narcissism isn't new.

Denigrating others to make yourself feel superior isn't new either. ;)

Art has always reflected the times in which the pieces were created. For any new artist to be painting bowls of fruit or sculpting Greek gods is the "cover band" of artists. It is the bassist of today who only plays Mingus. It is the sax player today who only plays Coltrane. This piece is today.

I don't love it. It just is what it is.

16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Not since Reagan was president :) They seemed to dress "normal" when I went.

17. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    IMG_1802.JPG

18. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    Some would look at this and see the obsurdity of it, I see it as an opportunity for some tasteless and crude photo bombing.:D

Aberdumbie likes this.
  19. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I could use photoshop to combine that statue with truck nutz, but the mods already gave me penalty points for something I posted in the funny pictures thread.

5StringBlues likes this.
  20. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Does the selfie fad mean that people are friendless or w/o family to help with photos? Probably not entirely but the forementioned situations probably have contributed greatly to the fad.