and I'm left wanting...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassturtle, May 3, 2004.

1. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okay, so am I the only one who doesn't play something MORE than a six string on these boards? I'm starting to feel like less of a man :(
  2. ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Don't fret about it. There are still oodles of us who stick with the 4 banger. It's just a matter of personal choice.
  3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Did someone say my name? :D

Currently the most I have is 5, and I use 4 as well, but the jump to 6 (7? :cool: ) is imminent.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play 4's and a 5 but i prefer the 4's for most stuff. For challenging stuff i use 4 because im more comfortable on it but on a lot of stuff that i made up i use the 5 because obviously its in my level of ability if i made it.
  5. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I'll play 4 strings forever. They just feel so comfy.
  6. 4's and 5's only here. 6+ doesn't even feel like a bass to me. Eh, to each his own.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    4 strings here.

Play what you want, not what you think others want or think is cool. A seven would be fun to try, but I don't think I would want one as my main instrument. Or a six. Or a five.
  8. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    4 baby....and a P to boot. I have a five but dont play it much.
    Whenever I do I think about six and then about growing my hair out and playing, gasp, a guitar. Nah...weez love the four.
    Its a BASS after 2 cents. :D
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I wouldn't have put it that way if I were you. Wait till some of the multistring guys find this thread. :)

Prepare to have it explained to you that those things are basses to. :smug:

I am getting out of Dodge before this one gets ugly :ninja:
  10. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I played a 6 for a bit (bought from a fellow TBer), but I couldn't fit my hand around it well. Just was never comfortable. Every bassist that I really admire uses 4 string basses at least 90% of the time (Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Chris Squire, ...). I might get a 5 string one day, but right now a 4 string PJ and/or a 4 string Jazz would work fine for me.

*insert insulting "must be compensating" comment here*

find what you like and stick with it. 4-11+ and anywhere in between. What others play doesn't really matter.
  11. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Actually I need to buy a cheap six string and find out what all the fuss is about. The real reason for my reluctance to play more then four is that I aint to good at four to begin with let alone five or six. Yea I know I guess I am a fool to admit it. I would love to find a good teacher who could school me in the ways of the mighty six. For now though I struggle with four....
    lets hope they dance at the next gig eh? :D
  12. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    if I had found a teacher capable of teaching me on my 6, I might still have it. If you go with a 6, definately get someone who can show you proper technique. Also, buy a really comfortable strap. FWIW, I found that I used the low B alot more than I used the high C. That is one reason a 5er will probably be sufficient. Of course, if I find a good teacher, I might stick to 4 strings and get a single Conklin 7string.
  13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    started on 4- moved to 5 in '83- since then, i have tried 6 several times and even 7 for a minute- i live in 5-land- its the configuration for me. Lots of 4 players, you are not alone...
  14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I started out on a 5 and will most likely NEVER play a 4. I seriously CAN'T adjust to a 4 no matter how long I play it.

I just recently bought a 6 and am crazy in love with it. I'm still adjusting to it, but I don't think it'll be a problem at all.

As always, to each his (or her;)) own!
  15. I was playing 4 until last september then I switched to a 5er.
    4 Strings are more comfortable, but you can do a lot more on a 5,
    but you don't get the "comfyness" of a 4. 5 is just enough for me.
    If I had to play more strings, I would switch to guitar...:D
  16. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okay cool. I figured I couldn't be the only bassist on here NOT using a 25 string bass :p I have a couple of fours, one five, and six. The five and six are my main players, but most of the music I get hired for rarely calls for that high c...I guess it all depends on your application. :bassist:
  17. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    4, 5 and 6 here.

Given the choice, I prefer a 5, but I play a 4 probably just as much. I love playing my 6 and wouldn't mind having something like a Conklin GT7, but for now, 6 is probably as much as I personally need.

I do a lot of slapping (though not well), so I like the 4s and 5s for that.

19. them's some dangerous words there partner :bag: