Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

and I'm left wanting...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassturtle, May 3, 2004.

1. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okay, so am I the only one who doesn't play something MORE than a six string on these boards? I'm starting to feel like less of a man :(

2. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Don't fret about it. There are still oodles of us who stick with the 4 banger. It's just a matter of personal choice.

3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Did someone say my name? :D

Currently the most I have is 5, and I use 4 as well, but the jump to 6 (7? :cool: ) is imminent.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play 4's and a 5 but i prefer the 4's for most stuff. For challenging stuff i use 4 because im more comfortable on it but on a lot of stuff that i made up i use the 5 because obviously its in my level of ability if i made it.

5. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I'll play 4 strings forever. They just feel so comfy.

6. 4's and 5's only here. 6+ doesn't even feel like a bass to me. Eh, to each his own.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    4 strings here.

Play what you want, not what you think others want or think is cool. A seven would be fun to try, but I don't think I would want one as my main instrument. Or a six. Or a five.

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    4 baby....and a P to boot. I have a five but dont play it much.
    Whenever I do I think about six and then about growing my hair out and playing, gasp, a guitar. Nah...weez love the four.
    Its a BASS after all...my 2 cents. :D

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I wouldn't have put it that way if I were you. Wait till some of the multistring guys find this thread. :)

Prepare to have it explained to you that those things are basses to. :smug:

I am getting out of Dodge before this one gets ugly :ninja:

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I played a 6 for a bit (bought from a fellow TBer), but I couldn't fit my hand around it well. Just was never comfortable. Every bassist that I really admire uses 4 string basses at least 90% of the time (Victor Wooten, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Chris Squire, ...). I might get a 5 string one day, but right now a 4 string PJ and/or a 4 string Jazz would work fine for me.

*insert insulting "must be compensating" comment here*

:D

find what you like and stick with it. 4-11+ and anywhere in between. What others play doesn't really matter.

11. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Actually I need to buy a cheap six string and find out what all the fuss is about. The real reason for my reluctance to play more then four is that I aint to good at four to begin with let alone five or six. Yea I know I guess I am a fool to admit it. I would love to find a good teacher who could school me in the ways of the mighty six. For now though I struggle with four....
    lets hope they dance at the next gig eh? :D

12. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    if I had found a teacher capable of teaching me on my 6, I might still have it. If you go with a 6, definately get someone who can show you proper technique. Also, buy a really comfortable strap. FWIW, I found that I used the low B alot more than I used the high C. That is one reason a 5er will probably be sufficient. Of course, if I find a good teacher, I might stick to 4 strings and get a single Conklin 7string.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    started on 4- moved to 5 in '83- since then, i have tried 6 several times and even 7 for a minute- i live in 5-land- its the configuration for me. Lots of 4 players, you are not alone...

14. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I started out on a 5 and will most likely NEVER play a 4. I seriously CAN'T adjust to a 4 no matter how long I play it.

I just recently bought a 6 and am crazy in love with it. I'm still adjusting to it, but I don't think it'll be a problem at all.

As always, to each his (or her;)) own!

15. I was playing 4 until last september then I switched to a 5er.
    4 Strings are more comfortable, but you can do a lot more on a 5,
    but you don't get the "comfyness" of a 4. 5 is just enough for me.
    If I had to play more strings, I would switch to guitar...:D

16. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okay cool. I figured I couldn't be the only bassist on here NOT using a 25 string bass :p I have a couple of fours, one five, and six. The five and six are my main players, but most of the music I get hired for rarely calls for that high c...I guess it all depends on your application. :bassist:

17. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    4, 5 and 6 here.

Given the choice, I prefer a 5, but I play a 4 probably just as much. I love playing my 6 and wouldn't mind having something like a Conklin GT7, but for now, 6 is probably as much as I personally need.

I do a lot of slapping (though not well), so I like the 4s and 5s for that.

19. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

them's some dangerous words there partner :bag: