Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

...and it's going to be my last Ibanez, too

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Got an EDA 905F from a TB'er (who was honest about the condition, no surprises there) that had a couple of bridge saddle problems. This bass has the piezo version of Ibanez's monorail bridge. So I needed two saddles. Nope, not available. However, the individual bridge pieces are available with the saddles for $90 apiece. I might be able to get a discount on that number, but it's just a little ridiculous. And the saddles are discontinued while some dealers still have EDA 905's. It's hard for me to see putting $150-180 into a bass that doesn't sound all that great to start with.

If that's the kind of support you get from Ibanez, count me out.

2. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Yeah, my EDA905 was a real piece of work. It had a recurring rattle inside the E string monorail and the B string monorail eventually stopped working altogether. Plus the neck had a dip in it so big towards the neckjoint the bass was unplayable past the 10th fret. I'm talking the action was like 3/4 of an inch at the 24th fret!!!!

So I sent it off to Ibanez, wait like a month, and get it back in 2 pieces. Apparently luthite if hit right (or maybe gets cold enough) will break like glass and the bass was in 2 pieces. The whole neck joint and upper horn had separated from the rest of the body. I wrote them a letter when I sent it back politely asking for another model (SRX705) and they actually did it.

3. I just won an EDA905 off of ebay so here's to hoping it works out for me...

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    They certainly have their fans. If it didn't have the quality issues I might still have it. Hope it works out for ya.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, if you still have the busted one, you could sell me the bridge parts.

I might try to get some of the "ordinary" Monorail bridge saddles and then cut in a bridge pickup to see if I can get some actual tone out of it. Gonna be hard to sell, that's for sure.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    They don't call them Ibeenhad for nothing. :bag:

7. I totally dig the EDA905. Yes, the action is a bit high, but it's not "unplayable" high and I could always take it to my luthier to have him lower it a bit if anything.

My God though, this thing dare I say almost sounds like an upright.