...And Justice for All

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by peteroberts, Jan 20, 2005.

1. I was listening to this record today. Did they record any bass for that record?
  2. ...And Justice For All probably has the lowest bass volume this side of St Anger.
  3. you can just pick out some bass fretnoise on the title track, and some faint murmuring of bass on One.

absolutely nothing on Harvester of sorrow though.
  4. I can't. Sounds like lower midrange guitar mud to me.
  5. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Yeah, theres very few sections that you can actually hear there is a bass there. Especially the sections where there is higher guitar harmony going and the bass is playing the root notes along with it. But yeah, otherwise it's pretty worthless to even have the bass track there.

I remember an interview somewhere where James mentioned recording something along the lines of 4 (or sometimes more) guitar tracks each, being him and Kirk. Silly... Sure doesn't sound like it.

Although that album has some of their best and most intricate riffs and time changes they've ever done. Shame the mix is bland.

6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Well they rectified the situation with the Black Album. Jason sounds good in that one. Also, on Garage Days, recorded before Justice, the bass sound is fantastic.
  7. Someone should start a petition asking them to remix that album. Not me, though, I'm too lazy.
  8. +1

awesome bass on Garage Days.
  9. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'd suggest buying Metallica's Live **** - Binge & Purge, if you haven't already. On the Justice tracks, you can actually here the bass, and it sounds great. :)

10. Hey,

I'm a big metallica fan (as well as a bassist) and I actually recorded my own basslines over the album to add the previously missing bass. Check it out: http://www.jasonizer.com/justice.html

I did those 2 summers ago and I've actually been thinking of going back and redoing it all now that I have much better gear and could definatly mix the tracks more realistically. Here's a more recent track that I did that I think sounds drastically improved from the original: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=433366&T=8529

Let me know what you think :bassist:
  11. Yes! For personal taste I would have used a more "wicked" sound, but the bass track you made sticks in the song very well!
  12. It's sad, because Justice would easily be my favorite Metallica cd if the production wasn't so gawdawful.
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Agreed, JR. Good album, they still had the metallica sound, but were advancing as musicians. It just sounds... bad.
  14. It sounds pretty cool with bass actually in the mix :D! Nice job Lokire.
  15. Justice is definitely my fave musically, but Jeez Lars...can ya turn down the kick drum a little????
  16. .357

Jan 16, 2005
    I remember Hetfield joking in an interview that AJFA was an album for solo rhythm guitar :) Too bad they messed up the mix on their last really good album.
  17. Hey Lokire, cool idea putting the bass on the tracks. How did you figure out the parts? :meh:
  18. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Maybe he owns the tab books like I do?

When I first got started, I was a cliff whore, I sat down and learned every album note for note and had all the tabs.

Over the years I forgot most of the intricate parts, and wasn't good enough to play them well back then. Now I'm too lazy and have enough trouble remembering and practicing my own parts I've written with my band :)

19. Yeah. I have the official tab books and basically went by those.

...Makes you wonder how they figured out the tabs for the tab books though :meh: :p
  20. yeah- i saw one that said that for "blackened" "Jason recorded his bass part backwards", and wondered what superhuman hearing the tabber must have to hear any bass on that track at all, let alone hear that it was reversed.... :confused: