...and my neck wouldn't take it anymore

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I have been trying out strings all day on the same bass (Warwick rockbass corvette) and now when i put on the flats again for the second time the truss-rod and neck went straight. I loosened it up because i allready had a great bow on the neck so i wouldn't tightning it anymore.

Is it something wrong with the bass? Should i take it to the local store and let them have a look at it?

*Sorry for my bad english*

*Edit:* It's playable but the neck is straight and i get string noise from the flats(!?)
  2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Did you adjust the truss rod today? If so, what is the current setting of the truss rod relative to where you started out the day?

I'm asking because if you did tighten the truss rod at some point today and then loosened it again, you may just need to the wood time to adjust. It sounds like you made several changes today and you just need the neck to settle.

I would tune the strings to pitch and let the bass sit until tomorrow.

One last question, what brand of flats do you have on the bass right now?
  3. Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    I let the bass sleep over night and i tried to adjust it again, if i tightning the trussrod the strings move closer to the fretboard and i get heavy string noise from the flats.

I have Fender flats with a mixed gauge, E90 A70 D55 and a G44 Pressurewound string because i have no lighter flat at the moment, is this bad? A maybe too light gauge?
  4. xyllion is right. You need to give the neck's wood time to adjust to the tension you put on it when you change strings, or tighten or loosen the truss rod. This really shows up when you leave the bass without strings on it for awhile. This is why you read of people changing one string at a time. This is because it doesn't change neck tension as much as when you take them all off at one time.

You tightened the truss, and now your strings are closer to the frets. That's why you're getting the fret buzz. You might want to try loosening the truss 1/8th turn at a time, bring it back up to tune, and check. Give it 30 minutes or so to settle in.

Good luck..