Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

and my next bass shall be...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matt Call, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    So. I am starting to gather funds for a new bass. Here's where I am right now. I have a MM Bongo 5HH, and will be getting a Fender sometime in the next few months (no specifics on it yet though...).

I play a variety of music, but mainly contemporary worship. With that, I'm involved in several alt.-rock projects, and do some studio work as well.

I don't want to spend more than $2500, and preferably less. Mainly, I'm looking for a 4-string. I've considered the following thus far:

Lakland 4-94 classic
    Lakland Bob Glaub (darkstar)
    Lakland Decade (it's a little over the price mark, but...)
    Sadowsky Metro
    Stingray/Sterling

Any suggestions?

2. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    well, the obvious question, since you already have one (and two soon) decent basses, is what you'll really need it for. do you want it as your main versatile bass, or for getting a "specialty" sound?

and with a cap at $2500, u definitely have a massive range of stuff to look for. from ken smith, to some custom manufacturers. i wish i could set my price cap at 2500... haha, mines a measley max of 900. :meh:

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'd go with the Bob Glaub w/ Darkstar. The tone on the bass is absolutely incredible when strung with flats.

The other basses might do similar things that your Bongo and Fender does, but none of them can do what the BG w/ Darkstar.

To say the sound of a Darkstar is pleasing to the ear is an understatement. It's pleasing to the soul. Even Pat Boone can funk and groove on that bass.

4. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Well. I want a more classic type of feel/sound. I also want something different from the Bongo/Fender.

The 4-94 seems like it'd be a good option because of the MM/J configuration, kind of a blend if you will.

The BG/Darkstar... 'nuff said

Decade... 2 Darkstars?!

Sadowsky. There's just too much goodness about them. I'd probably end up shooting for a P/J though...

I'm actually leaning a little way against the Sterling idea. I love the sound of humbuckers; but I want to get something with a different feel.

I just want to have as many bases(basses) that I can have covered, covered. I figure that, for studio work, I should probably have a good P, a good J, maybe one other bass, and a 5er.

But at the same time, I've never got the whole Precision thing for some reason. I'm starting to come around, but still... I just don't know.

5. So. I am starting to gather funds for a new bass. Here's where I am right now. I have a MM Bongo 5HH, and will be getting a Fender sometime in the next few months (no specifics on it yet though...).

A famous record producer JOE MEEK once said, "If it SOUNDS right, it IS right". Get what sounds right to 'you' and feels comfortable on 'you' as we are all a different shape too. It is a bit like buying clothes for someone and hoping that they like them.
    We all have different tastes an hence ways we interpret sound, and whatever is suggested it could be wrong for 'you'. Ask a hundred different bassists and you will gat a hundred different opinions. Hence "I would go for -----?
    You are obviously a Christian and there is only 'One' person to ask as it is being used for His work. Then watch the right one turn up, and for the right price.

6. Matt Call

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    ^^^
    Definitely. It's what happened with the Bongo.

7. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    You worship your contemporaries?

:p