Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And now, a quick word from Jim Bergantino

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

This was news to me, and I'm sure he won't mind me sharing:

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    He's also coming out with a 4x12 and possibly a 2x15.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    id be happy with contemporary rather than vintage. where's the stinkin' 4x10!

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    OMG, a 6x10??? :eek:

...breathe... breathe...

...... searches desparately for a paper bag...

forget this whole lightweight CRAP! a 6x10 from jimmy would be more than worthwhile to lug around!!!!!!!!!! :D

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    6x10

Cory over at Rock City in Boston has the proto type. Ive never had the guts to plug in.

AJ

6. Fuzzbass

It's called the HT310, try one sometime! ;)

7. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i did and went with the epifani 4x10. im not real keen on lugging around a box thats as big and heavy as a 4x10, but doesnt move as much air.

8. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    what is his website? I searched and nothing came up...

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    6x10? Color me curious...

10. Fuzzbass

www.bergantino.com (I assume you typoed!)

P.S. Had a fantastic gig with my HT212 tonight... it pushed a ton of air (much more than my old 2x2x10 stack) and stayed clean, clean, clean.

11. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Hey Brendan,
    Funny you said "color me curious", because Rock City Guitars(my shop) is getting the first 2 Bergantino 6x10 cabinets in RED Tolex!!!!!!!!!!! We just got 4 Berg 1x12's in RED and they kick a&$.
    As Andrew Jones said, I have the prototype 6x10, but I also have the prototype 4x12, which very few people have even seen. I have been using the 4x12 as my rehearsal room rig, and I have been gigging the 6x10 for over a year now!
    If anyone is in the Boston area, and would like to borrow one, give me a shout!!!!!!!
    GEEK

12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    How does the sound of the 4x12 compare to the HT2x12?

13. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    The NV series cabs sound quite a bit different than the other Bergantino's. The 610 came about from a year or more of my haunting Jim about how heavy and cluttered sounding my SVT cabinet was. I loved the rig, but didn't look forward to moving that 150+ pound cabinet anymore! I was also getting too much "clutter" when I was too close or too far from the SVT. I had to be in the "sweet spot" or it didn't work.
    The solution was a 6x10 cabinet with as much output as 810's, yet more fidelity and clarity. Also, this cab is almost HALF the weight!!!!! There is also a lot of Jim's "magic" in the design that you can't see! And yes, it is 4 ohms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    As for the sound............very much like a vintage cabinet, with more fidelity. Barky, even, punchy, with VERY controlled low end. It isn't as Hi-Fi as his other cabinets, but was not meant to be so. For all of you guys using Mesa heads, SVT's, Trace V-types, old Sunns, or any tube head, this cabinet series is a MUST TRY! I use the 610 with a Walter Woods Ultra(1200 watts) quite often, and it is KILLING! It punches you in the chest so hard it hurts!
    Like I said before, if anyones in the Boston area and would like a sneak peek, ring me up! You're also welcome to take it on a gig and see for yourself!!!!!!!
    GEEK

14. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Oh yeah........AND IT'S COVERED IN TOLEX!!!!!!!!!!!

15. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Do you have any pictures!

16. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I only have pics of my prototype, which is a bit different cosmetically, and beat to hell at this point!
    I'm not sure if Jim would want me to post pics of it. To be safe(I hate when he yells at me!!) I'll ask him if it's cool first.
    GEEK

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Also important to note....the NV series will be using a different type of speaker (case frame, if I remember correctly), so the cabs are fundamentally different from what Jim already offers. The new series will not just be a 4X12, 2X15, and 6X10 set of cabs. However, where tweeters are used, I believe he (Jim) will be using the same tweet and crossover in the regular line.

18. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    JPJ,
    The NV Series uses stamped frame speakers instead of cast frame, like the other cabs. Two reasons for this were lower weight, and the stamped frame speakers are much more "vintage" sounding.
    Jim's other cabinets are going to use the SAME components they always have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The "New Vintage Series" is by NO MEANS a replacement for his other products. They just appeal to a different type of player with different tonal needs.
    I for one use an HT-112 and an EX-112 for about 60 percent of my gigs, and the 610 for the remainder. It depends on the room, the sound I need, and my mood. My partner on the other hand uses his HT-212 or HT-310 and would NEVER use the NV cabinets, because they don't have "his" sound(he DOES think they're cool though!)
    GEEK

19. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    GIBSONGEEK,

How well do the NV series cabs handle a low B? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm definitely considering buy one when they come out.

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Gibsongeek,
    Thanks for the follow-up. I knew they were different speakers from the existing line, but was off on my terminology.