1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

...And now for an animal of a different flavor

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mojomike001, Apr 6, 2015.

1. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    You don't see a whole lot of these. At least I don't. This is a Squier Vintage Modified TB Precision Bass. It was made a couple of years ago for only a few years and then discontinued. It was modeled after the Fender Telebasses from the mid '70s. This particular one is a little different. It was routed for an additional humbucker in the P sweet spot. The stock ones only had the pickup just under the neck. Also, under that chrome Fender neck pickup cover is actually an EMG humbucker like the one in the sweet spot. I also changed out the original old-school 2-saddle bridge for a 4-saddle Wilkonsin.

I ran across the loaded body on ebay and then very soon after found the proper Squier Tele-style neck for it. The controls are wired volume-volume, no tone. Quite frankly, no tone is needed. You can get all the tonal variations just from the mix of the pickups. The neck pickup soloed is an awesome smooth-sounding thumper as one would expect. The pickup in the P position soloed sounds very much like what one would expect from a classic P with plenty of growl. Weight is a svelte 8.5 lbs. The body wood is apparently basswood with ash veneers. Look damn good to me. I think I'll keep'er for a while.

1.JPG 2.JPG

mbelue, petrus61, MattZilla and 2 others like this.
  2. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I dig it

mojomike001 likes this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    looks sharp with the black gear and strings. I might consider painting that front pickup cover black, myself. ;)

mojomike001 and ScarfFace like this.
  4. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    That's a real looker!

mojomike001 likes this.
  5. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Thanks for the compliments.

Painting the pickup cover black is an interesting thought. I might try black tape first to see if I like it.

bholder likes this.
  6. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Only seen a few of these, nice looking bass

mojomike001 likes this.
  7. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I, too, Like those black tuners and strings.

mojomike001 and bholder like this.
  8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I really had GAS for one of these a few years back. I remember looking at and playing several of them at various shops around 2006-2008.

Beautiful.

I always thought it'd be cool to get one and stick an old single coil P bass pup in the standard pre-57 P bass position.

But yours looks to be WAY more versatile.

mojomike001 likes this.
  9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    That's the look I'm going for on my 3 P pickup fretless 5 project - figured natural maple body, birdseye maple board, black hw, black tape flats. :cool: Waitin' on a neck order.

mojomike001 likes this.
  10. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    I made a slight error when I stated that the additional pickup was in the P sweet spot. Measuring it, it's actually about an inch closer to the bridge than the standard P position.

Regardless, this bass is quite a tone machine which in some ways puts many of my higher-end basses to shame.

11. mojomike001

mojomike001

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Black knob update. Just silly cosmetics, but what the hey?

P1050547.JPG

12. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Normally I dislike chrome pickup covers, and mismatched pickup covers really get me, but in this case I think it works great. I'd leave it just as is.