And now for something a little different...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hambone, Jan 4, 2006.

1. I like that better than the standard electric up right.
  2. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Seems to me like it lacks fundamental structural support which in turn aids sustain and note defenition. Looks like pine.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah that wouldent be for me.
  4. Hey Hambone that is quite a find and inspiration for a build I think. ;) But then again for under 500 clams it would be hard to build one in that range. I'm intruiged.
    Thanks for that.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looks like a piece of crap to me. And judging by their selection of CCB's at the bottom of the page, I'd bet it really IS crap. I'd rather have a Pace or a Dean. Actually, I'd rather have a real acoustic upright. Oh yeah, I forgot...I already do! HAHAHAHAHAHA!
  6. One of the TBer's has that thing as his avatar.

Looks interesting and possibly functional, but no thanks....the word "warp" comes to mind when I look at it.
  7. I saw a bass similar to this in 40 Year Old Virgin last night. Its on a wall in the first bar scenes. I think they look pretty neat.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's art, not an instrument.
  9. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I really like it, but I wouldn't trust it to be anything but crap.
  10. Seems unnecessarily big and clumsy to me. I don´t play upright so feel free to correct me, but isn´t the whole point of the EUB to be compact and portable?
  11. +1

a #3 washtub, a broomstick, and a piece of rope, would probably have more tone, lol. but, it is interesting. :cool:

12. depends on the rope...and the washtub has to be a good quality galvanized one...and the broomstick, well that needs to be oak or hickory :D
  13. Did any of you take the gallery tour? There's some better detail shots.

My thoughts are - Who in hell's name arbitrarily decreed that electric upright basses are supposed to be sticks with pickups. :spit:

The outside of the box is soooo much larger than the inside!

If you think about the way it's built and the materials it uses, you probably couldn't build a more structurally sound shape like that than the way they did. It's laminated plywood and you won't get much stronger than that. And the fact that there's...oh my gawd... HOLES :eek: in the body really doesn't mean squat - all of the stress is directed around the perimeter in much the same way that an acoustic bass supports it's string tension.

And, as a builder, picking one of those up for the neck and other parts might not be a bad idea. You couldn't make them for that.
  14. Jimmy, I'm still a fan, but even so I must point out that a Pace IS a Dean. :D

Edit: Good point about the outside of the box, Ham. I like the thing. Shoot, if'n I didn't have a real DB AND a half-done homemade EUB in my garage, I'd be justifying this to The Queen right now. :rollno: <--- Her reaction, I'm sure...
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Oh dang, well what's the bass that the Violent Femmes guy uses that's like $700? That's the one I was thinking of. I thought it was a Pace.
  16. klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Hmm, I like it actually. Definitely interesting if nothing else.

If you look at the gallery at the bottom, it definitely looks more structurally sound than the initial photo does.
    quite an interesting design...
  17. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    WHY, is it not an instrument and just art? I dont get it. What IS an instrument? Is'nt it a combination of the two?, or lack thereof? Is an Alembic tri-cut/w gold hardware and burl maple laminates less of an instrument than a Fender precision, which is inexpensive wood, paint, metal, circuitry and screws but sounds and performs functional? I think its a great looking bass, a LOT better looking than that Yamaha silent bass. Now, of coarse, thos cats over at the DB forums may come over here and kill us all for even entertaining the thought :bag: