Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And now for something completely different.

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Matt Till, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    When I thought I was going to see you in Clevland (unfortuantly these plans did not go through) I was to say the least stoked. When I went home I decided to tell the guitarist I jammed with all the time. I told him I was "Going to see Mike Watt, you wanna see Mike Watt?"

His reply was something along the lines of, "My Quat?! I'll show you My Quat!!" So it was then that we decided that your name sounds like a dirty word. :D

But then again, to this guy, you're the guy who plays bass on the jackass theme. :rolleyes: Ugh, guitarists. :D

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

g,

the song is a d. boon song (though I play on it w/him, along w/george hurley) and it's called "corona" - off of "double nickels on the dime." I don't know how many times I've heard it called the "jackass theme song." funny about that. I did let them use that song though so people could hear d. boon play and sing.

on bass, watt

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh, I know that. My point was the guitarist I was talking to had no idea who you were or what you've done in the past. So the only way I could refer him to something that you've done that he knows is Corona... but if I said "Corona" by The Minutemen. He would have no idea who or what I was talking about.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Sarcasm and Humor in general don't tend to travel well over the internet. :meh:

5. I've been into the Minutemen since I was about 15 or so, and happened to be listening to "double nickles..." at work one day about a year or two ago. As soon as the opening guitar riff from Corona started, the girl in the cube next to me lifted her head over and stated, "Isn't that the Jackass theme? I didn't know they had a CD out". Now, I live in a sort of self imposed media void (no TV, cable), and hadn't heard of the Jackass phenomenon. She proceeded to tell me all about Jackass, and initially I was thinking to myself that it was pretty lame (the whole MTV thing, and the glorification of stupidity), but I told her about the Minutemen/firehose/Watt and burned her a few discs and now she's a big fan. She even went to see the Secondmen in Cambridge this past tour. I don't really have any point, just thought I'd share.

6. watt

hi,

I understand but at the same time, I think you had the chance to "enlighten" him a bit. everyone can't know everything. we all have each other to help us out in filling in the gaps. he might return the favor some day.

it was kind of you to remember d. boon for his music, thank you!

on bass, watt

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh I did, Jared is one of my music friends. We talk about/play music constantly. I didn't just leave it at Minutemen=Jackass guys. When inviting him to the concert I played Contemplating the Engine Room... the only Watt related material I currently own. He dug it, but I ended up not being able to make it.

Unfortunatly to the youth of today, Corona has been labeled the Jackass theme. When someone says "punk" they instantly think of Good Charolette 182, whenever they hear Corona they think Jackass Theme. Ahhhh MTV, destroying millions of brains a year.

8. watt

hi,

"self-defense is no offense!" someone once told me.

on bass, watt

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Oh, I hate to think this thread has come off as an argument or something of that sort. I simply was joking around about the whole "My Quat" issue. I was just being a dork. I didn't mean to turn this into any kind of squabble. I along with all of Talkbass.com think it's fantastic that a great vet of the bass guitar such as yourself is willing to jump on the boards and share his knowledge with fans and possible fans to be.

P.S. I went to a CD shop and they didn't have "Double Nickles on the Dime" :spit: I've listened to my friend Larry's copy a few times and I need to get it. I'm going to have to get it online sometime.

Stay Frosty

10. watt

stay,

no squabble - I find the whole thing funny too.

keep playing your bass!

on bass, watt

11. Sorry, Watt, but I had no clue that you played on that song until recently, and I've heard of you of course, but I only have the Ballhog CD. I didn't even know it was a real song. So I agree that you can't expect people to know everything. It's a pretty obscure song, and I never heard the song before I heard it on Jackass (an over-the-top show IMO, BTW).

But still, by the same token, I would get pissed if people didn't know by now that the intro to "Butterfly" by Crazy Town is a RHCP sample, wouldn't you? (Ok, maybe that wasn't the best example, but still you my point.) At least MTV had the decency to announce that...

12. I thought it was pretty funny too. I feel your pain, man -- I tell hilarous jokes all the time, but no seems to care to respond. I get the silent treatment, or I'll ask question and people will just ignore me. "I get no respect, I tell 'ya, no respect." And when you write out jokes, they can get easily downplayed vs. saying them verbally. My friend downplays everything I do all the time.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ha, Intro? Crazytown's entire song "Butterfly" is just that one part of "Pretty Little Ditty". It worked really good for their song, but regardless, I find sampling to be a little weak, especially for a rock group trying to seem rap by sampling.

14. Yeah, I know it plays throughout the whole song, but I wanted to avoid confusion and make it clear what I was talking about. The whole song is not the just the sample and rapping over it, it has drums added to it, and the original doesn't have drums. The first time the sample plays by itself is the intro, so that's why I said intro.

Yes, it did work pretty well, and it was definitley a weak thing to do, which explains why they suck and no one likes them anymore. Sampling is OK when it comes to Hip-hop, but sampling something for a rock song is lame, and just shows how talentless you are. JMO.

P.S. Sharon Osbourne's reaction towards the neighbors blasting Crazy Town during "The Osbournes" tennis court episode was pretty funny. Make sure you see the re-run if you haven't.

15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I just thought I would ressurect this masterpiece....

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wow uh, thanks...

:D

17. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Hi-
    Allow me to say Mr. Watt is truly an "OG*"!

aside from that... Pretty Little Ditty is one of the best songs RCHP has ever done... in fact Mothers Milk is the best album they've done....IMO. Anthony has done no justice for the musical aspect of RHCP, he's the advertiser, that's all. Sorry for the highjack.....

*OG- Original Gangsta

Rock on Mike!