Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And once again, I learned something about music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Dec 7, 2003.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It's funny, the old saying "The more you know, the more you find that you really don't know" really does hold true. I just recently joined a band playing Hard Rock music and I'm actually learning stuff. For the last 3 years I've been playing in Blues, Funk, Jazz, Country, ect. bands. That allowed me to play very busy and take a very upfront role in the music. I then found myself in a band doing more Rock oriented music. (both Classic Rock and Modern Rock) I knew that it was going to mean a lot of root notes and taking a back seat more often than not. Still, I learned something about playing Rock music; while it might not be the most harmonically or melodically challenging music for a bassist, you have to have perfect timing. Since Rock and Metal is a very structured style of music, being all around tight is a must. I'm a little ashamed but humbled to say that Bad Religion by Godsmack kicked my ass the first few times I tried to play it. (yeah, the song with all the D power chords for a verse)

Anyways, I guess my point is, there's something to learn from every style of music.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It also always seems that I learn about how/what not to play sooner than what is the right thing to play for that style.

3. we've blown through more bassists than spinal tap has drummers, simply because they couldn't understand the real role of bass in a hard rock context.

this isn't to say we don't allow room for playing. and actually, our music is very melodically and harmonically developed. also, our stuff is mostly odd-time, which in my opinion makes laying down a killer groove that much more important [keeps it sounding cohesive]

too bad you're in PA, or else i'd have asked you to join our band. we need someone who is a solid musician, but who knows when to turn off his inner jaco.

bravo.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    *LOL* I still like to turn on the inner Jaco every once in a while though. I was playing some Portrait of Tracy at practice the other day, because the harmonics sounded killer coming through the PA. :D

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Hey, Bad Religion is a little tricky at first especially that little walk down before the bridge. Your right you and the guitar have to be right on the money for that tune. In my rock cover band we try to pick tunes that challenge us a bit more. Classic rock is great for that..