and so...it begins... (self indulgent with pics!)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by john turner, Aug 4, 2009.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. ordered timefactor and modfactor last night. with the huckleberry on the way, that almost doubles my pedal board setup.

gonna set it up (my board) with a loop for bass whammy and huckleberry, a loop with blowtorch and moogerfooger, and a stereo loop with the eventides, although i might end up swapping the huck and blowtorch.

only things i really want that i have left to get are the midi murf and, eventually, the pitchfactor, although i really dig the germ bassmasters (almost pulled the trigger on the save the boobies one, but when i went to buy it, it was on hold heh. snooze = loose).

been experimenting with aphex rack mounted compressors and gates along with a berhinger quad expander (that i used to use in my studio) for the effects loops, and i'm liking what i'm hearing so far. can't wait to get the new pedals and get them hooked in.

my rig is officially going into the "ludicrous speed" zone. lol.

just thought i'd share :D.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Woah, thats on insane setup!

3. 5stringwonder

5stringwonder

Sep 24, 2006
    Singapore
    Pics!!

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Around here we refer to them as Assmasters,...or B.assmasters,...just to clarify JT.

Bassmaster = fishing tournament.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    If you're getting two of the Factors and plan on getting the third, why not just get a used Eclipse to get it all in one for a bit cheaper? Or is your pedalboard what you plan on using in place of your rack system?

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i was really torn between doing that and getting the pedals, but i don't have the money for an eclipse right now (probably done with big ticket pedals for a few months).

i'm getting a really good deal on the pedals, and i probably will be able to turn them around for what they cost me pretty easily, if i decide in the future i want to just get the eclipse.

7. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    (Insert Black Hole Sucking Sound Here)

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yep, i'm stuck beyond the event horizon. heh.

well, the better pics of the pedalboard will come once the pedals arrive, but this will give the basic idea of my rig :).

rack1.jpg
    rack2.jpg
    poweramprack.jpg

first, my two main racks and my poweramp rack. these guys are interconnected - i plug my instruments into the patchbay on rack 2, and the switchblade on rack 1 controls all the routing between each unit in both racks, as well as the foot pedals.

the roland mixer gives me 6 outputs that i then use as ins into the switchblade. i route the bass synth from the axon, the roland jv1010 and the kawai into the first 6 channels of the roland mixer and then the main outs are mixed synth, back to the switchblade to go out to the cabs.

i have room for up to 10 mono loops from footpedals to return to the roland mixer, where they are then mixed down and sent to the switchblade, to also be routed to the poweramps.

i route the bass signals directly into the switchblade, to then be sent to one, or more, of the rack preamps - the sansamp, the marshall jmp1 and the ada, along with the aguilar of course. (The aguilar is almost always the last step in the chain, since i biamp and use its internal crossover) i generally send the biamped-high signal from the aguilar to any effects i'm wanting in stereo, since the return can then be routed to my two hartke 4x12 cabs.

cabsleft.jpg
    cabsright.jpg

the cabs i have on either set of the drum kit - my main bass rig cabs (hartke 4x12 and yamaha 1x18 pa sub) and the "other side" (hartke 4x12 and Ev 1x15 w/10" midrange) whenever i have footpedal synth going along with bass, i send that into the Ev. have a lot of plans for this, gotta experiment some more with it to get a good feel for how i'm going to incorporate it into my various projects.

pedalsynth.jpg

the footpedal synths are primarily routed to the kawai k5000, but if i want i can send the signal to the jv1010 too, get layers of footpedal synth. the kawai is a neat little unit that uses additive synthesis that i can also use from the midi out from the axon to use it for bass synth as well as pedal synth. both of my 8 strings and both of my hollowbody 7's are equipped with RMC piezo/synth outputs, so those are the main instruments i use the guitarsynth with. i also have a gk pickup on the fretted neck of my doubleneck, which i also use synth on.

boardconnected.jpg

on the board, i'm pretty sold on my current pedals with the exception of the bassballs. i got it for a steal, so i didn't really care that much, but i don't think the effect is worth the real estate, tbh.

i'm thinking that spot is going to one day be a mcmeat or a p&c clone (thanks to couvy and his awesome, wife-painted home-built pedals for the inspiration there). might even just gut it and use the box to put the homebuilt in, just for kicks. i got a degree in electrical engineering, about time i used it for something useful. like pedals :D.

9. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Very nice! Atlanta GTG in the near future? :D

10. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Looking at those racks was like staring into the sun.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, we are -waaaaay- overdue, no?

heh. yeah, i saw the flash artifacts on there, was gonna retake the pics but then i thought that was a nice effect :D :cool:

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Or, you know, the blinding power of all that stuff.:ninja:

13. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Nice! I don't have much else to say other than to commend you on the sci-fi references in this thread ;)

14. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Uhmmm... haven't noticed that. :)

What he said. :)

Looking at it again.... I may have meant that figuratively and literally. :)

Man... and I thought assembling a second rack with an SVP-Pro, JoeMeek One-Q, DBX120A and QSC PX5 and a Prunes and Custard in front of it was going to be overkill. :atoz:
    :)

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :hyper:

[​IMG]

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

what is this "overkill" of which you speak?

17. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    ITS MINE :D:D:D

Sorry, but I definitely would advise you get one of your own regardless of the pink sparkliness.

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    This is the only one I know of...

19. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually the pink sparkles were a selling point :). need a splash of fabulous color on my pedalboard.

20. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I always considered "overkill" when your racks weigh 1,7 times the weight of your cabs.

I'm a minimalist and I say stop at 1,48 times the weight of your cabs. :smug:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021