Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And So It's Down To Two! (Acoustic Guitars)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 7, 2006.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I started a thread a while ago asking for acoustic guitar suggestions, and I've done a bunch of playing and research since then, and I've finally narrowed it down to two, and only two choices; one from the old thread, and one new one. They are:

Seagull S Series+ Cutaway GT QII

@ $679.99 (USD)

Pros:

Made in Canada
    Solid cedar top
    Cool bridge pickup/internal microphone system (called Quantum II)
    Really nice case included

Cons:

Laminated back
    No onboard tuner

Alvarez PD80SC

@ $559.00 (USD)

Pros:

Onboard tuner
    Cool preamp
    Solid back
    Solid Canadian spruce top

Cons:

Doesn't come with a case
    I'd have to order it online
    Made in Korea

That's what I've found so far. The big thing that's putting the Seagull ahead in the race right now is that it's made in Canada, as opposed to Korea. I don't really have anything against Korean instruments. My ESP bass is Korean-made and it's turned out great. Still, I think the Seagull may be of higher quality due to where it's made.

Of course, the Alvarez gets big bonus points due to its onboard tuner, and awesome preamp. No internal mic though, which the Seagull does have.

Please, no more suggestions, only because it would drive me insane to do more research. Anything that could be suggested, I've probably looked at.

So of these two, which would you pick, and why?

Thanks very much, it's really appreciated.

Graeme :bassist:

P.S. As a sidebar, how would an Ibanez acoustic fare in this competition? (the ones in my price range)

2. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I forgot to mention:

I will be using the guitar for stage performances (with another guitarist), and just for sing-along-around-the-campfire-with-friends kinda stuff. I'm starting an acoustic duo with a friend of mine, so we'll be doing low-key kinda stuff. We'll probably end up recording too. So whichever (if either) would be better for these applications...

Thanks again!

Graeme

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I'd go for the Seagull if those are the 2 choices. I have an F Bass, I like Canadian products, the case is worth more to me than the tuner and you want a case that fits right. And not so much because the other one is from Korea, but I don't like Music 123. We'll not get into that.

I know you've made up your mind, but I really like my Martin. :bag:

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Seagull

5. Those are both nice beginner guitars. I don't mean that in a disparaging way. You have to spend a certain amount of money to get a decent guitar and those qualify as worthwhile purchases. I'm sure you will be happy with whichever you choose. I bought a Korean made Breedlove because I won't take my $3500 Santa Cruz on camping trips. And now I play the Breedlove more than the Santa Cruz.

Nothing against Ibanez, but I would choose from your first two.

6. I would go for the seagul. i played one a few weeks ago when i thought about trading in my MIA jazz v. it played really nice and felt really good in my hands. i also lay the whole acoustic round the fire thing, playing alot of jack johnson/surf acoustic music, but also political style stuff like phil ochs and dylan, and i am looking into a seagul aswell. if you ever wanted to jam possibly drop me a line.

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I bought a Blueridge. Sorry to complicate things, but to me it was the best deal, and I'm a pretty serious guitarist.

8. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Seagul.

I played one a while back, and almost bought it on the spot. They're a great value. It had really nice action IIRC.

That's just my take on it.

Alvarez are great instruments too; but a tad overrated, if that makes sense.

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Seagull

Alvarez are hugely inconsistent, in my experiance. The good ones can be very good indeed, but do you want to risk that? I have played several guitars from both manufacturers, and I have not had a bad Seagull experiance yet. I have, however seen widely varied quality in Alvarezes.

Now, as to that internal mic: can you mix the volume separately on the mic and the bridge piezo? Because if they don't vary independently, you'll probably have feedback issues. But otherwise the Seagull wins.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Yeah there's a control that blends the mic and the pickup. You can set it to all pickup or all mic if you want.

Thanks for the help. So far the Seagull is winning by a landslide. For the record, I'm not really a beginner, I've been playing for about three or four years. I just need a step up from my 3/4 size, dented to all hell no name acoustic. I think this is the one case where the instrument will improve my playing! ;)

So does anyone have anything bad to say about Seagulls?

Thanks,
    Graeme

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Which one sounds better to your ears? This would be the determining factor for me. On-board tuner doesn't really do it for me. Good preamp is a huge plus, but can always be upgraded later.

Which one plays better? Keep in mind a good pro setup can make a huge difference.

Both are great acoustics. I think you'd be happy either way. I had an Alvarez acoustic that was awesome. I almost bought a seagull a few months ago. It sounded amazing, and played extremely well. But it was kinda beat up and I didn't like the price they were offering me.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    IMO these guitars aren't even in the same class. It's like comparing a MIM Fender to an SX.

Seagull

I'm biased - I own a Seagull guitar and love it. My S6 is kind of like yours - Solid Cedar Top S6 cutaway, but mine has no preamp, only a pickup, and a matte finish.

Good luck finding anyone. Seagulls as with most Godin products, are very highly regarded. And they are most highly regarded by people who know more about acoustics. I have been told that the skinny headstock is sometimes a problem, but I don't know if it's true.
    It would compare favorably with the Alvarez, and not compare with the Seagull.

I've had the priveledge of playing with some immensely talented acoustic guitarists over the years. Including my brother Peter who is an amazing player. My S6 was his guitar for many years, and when he replaced it, he had to spend well over 3 times the price to get something better. Other extremely talented players I jam with regularly, who can afford anything they want within reason, have a grreat deal of respect for my Seagull. One has told me that recently when he was looking at guitars in a local shop with lots of afiliations, the only guitars he liked at all were the very high end Taylors and most of the Seagulls.

My brother went to an in-store appearance by Robert Godin at a dealer near me, and had him sign his high end Godin guitar. Afterwards, he mentioned that he used to own an S6 and Robert told him that of all the guitars his company has ever built, he is most proud of that model. Being able to deliver that kind of quality at the price point that they do, he thinks nothing in the industry can even come close. I agree.

13. You could get a Taylor Big Baby for around or less than those prices.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    But would that be as good as a Seagull S6?

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Not IMHO.

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Or in my NSHO.