1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

And the award for best online marketing goes to...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alexit, Aug 6, 2007.

1. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    ...Clover. Never heard of them before I clicked on their banner here on the left, and I know nothing about their products. But wow, what a clean, easy-to-navigate, and informative website. You don't have to dig for the information you want, it's just right there, and their products look good

IMO, most manufacturers just don't have it together as far as web design. Ibanez has it together with its back catalogue for parts, afaik the only manufacturer with such a comprehensive list, they're maybe the next best, but their product pages are empty of all but the most basic information. Fender's website is just as clunky to navigate as it was before, but now it's even harder to look at. Ernie ball/musicman has never changed their layout, very bleak and dated way to present their products. Warwick's site was decent, but also dated, their german site, warwick.de looks quite a bit better but is still lacking.

There's a ton of high-end manufacturers with low-quality, un-colorful, photography and lack of professional web design. Sadowsky, Ken Smith, etc, come to mind. Sure, I understand these people can't afford a $50k custom web site, but it's not hard to make a simple, clean, easy-to-navigate site, and for a product where the eye candy is so important, grainy, low-res, and/or washed-out photos aren't helping them sell their products.

2. AGREED!

i'm a web and graphic designer and it drives be crazy to see some of the sites out there.

if any luthiers on here are looking for affordable webdesign i work for basses :D

3. Agree, it's just unfortunate that they don't have a dealer in the U.S.

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I thought I read i another Post comparing Clover and....um....dang, the name escapes me, anyway....I thought I saw in another post that there was supposed to be a US distributor.....the thread was something to do with German Basses....

5. u-djinn

u-djinn

Mar 6, 2007
    Malaysia
    sandberg?

6. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
  7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hmmm. Sadowsky's Web site is pretty easy to navigate, has tons of information yet is to the point, and has great pics. I don't understand what are you talking about.

Smith on the others. . . that one looks like it was designed in 1994.

8. XxBassPlayerxX

XxBassPlayerxX

Mar 25, 2007
    i love warwick.de

that's the other forum i post at and you should check out the custom shop gallery... that's some nice stuff.

granted, there are some inconveniences: i don't like the News pop-ups. also, some of the pull down menus are a little slow torespond.

still though, i think the site looks very modern and serves t's purpose well in showing all the basses, showing custom shop stuff, and so on and so forth.

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    The clover site is great but i'm not sure whats wrong with the sadowsky site - very clear, well laid out, hi res pics...

10. it's ok, but from an artistic point of view it's a bit bland and the colors don't pop much. when you open the store tab all of the links on the top change to store specific links and it becomes unclear how to return to the regular site. ideally it should open in a new window on top, allowing the user to navigate the store and site independantly. there is a ton of great info on the site but without surfing through one may not find it all. it could benefit from a reorganization of content to put all similar stuff together and give more specific and obvious tabs containing the consolidated info.

as a webdesigner i've always followed the rule that content is king. that being said, the content on the sadowsky site is top notch. i was just making the point that even their site isn't perfect.

11. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    fair enough. i see what you mean about the store etc, but from a colours/style point of view i'm not that 'artistic' and i like a fairly plain website, as long as the info is there. I'm really not into websites with long pointless intro videos with stupid music that take forever to load etc... can't think of any right now...hmm, the old ebs site had a video/music intro which annoyed me. And yes i know you can skip it but it just bothers me. I'm going back to the site to get info or check out your product, not to have to skip your intro again. (Oops, that got a bit rantish:bag: :D )

12. phatduckk

phatduckk

May 24, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    thats how i got my Bongo :) i have a buddy who owns a music shop and some guy "designed" the site and flaked when it came to doing the DB backend. So i did all the DB work for a bass...

13. i agree with you one hundred percent about video and flash intros - way overdone. Just because you can do an intro doesn't mean you should.

the artistic stuff is really just a matter of preference though, but i think the site could use a more modern feel (the file folder style tabs are a bit old fashioned). on the other hand, someone visiting the sadowsky site isn't going to make a purchase decision according to the color profile and style of the site.

14. sweet deal! i'd love to have that happen to me.

15. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    The sadowsky layout is fixed at 640px width, which is a big faux pas in modern web design, you have to scroll through 6 pages of stuff just to see their line of basses, in order accommodate the 0.1% of people who still run their monitors in 1987 vintage 640x480 VGA resolution, so they don't have to scroll sideways. It's not very hard to make a website with fluid width, especially one with fixed content.

The photos on the sadowsky site are awful as well. Grainy and bitmapped from low-quality JPEGs so you can't see any detail. Colors are washed out and desaturated.

Edit: the colors on the in-stock basses are not as washed out, but still lacking detail and somewhat blurry.

16. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Interesting again - i pretty much have no techinical computer skill or knowlege so i don't quiet understand about the scrolling thing and width. i'll agree that the pics of the product lines are dated and not so good but i don't mind the in stock ones