Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And the man behind the mask is...

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Damon Rondeau, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    shwashwa.

That's right, our own TB'er who goes by that handle has posted a cut for y'all to check out.

I strongly advise that you do!

Because things have been a little dull in sampler land in recent times, here's the fun new bit: I've cajoled shwashwa into telling me his real name and we'll reveal all once we've acquired some threadage in this here thread.

Click here to hit the sampler page and check out "Owen's Lullaby" submitted by shwashwa, the man of mystery.

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    I don't really get this. Is shwashwa going to be someone famous that everyone is going to know? :confused:

I couldn't listen to the sampler, I'm on a 21.6k modem right now...

3. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    No, no, no -- I didn't get Dave Holland to submit an mp3, I'm not up to anything like that. Just some good clean fun. I'm pretty sure shwashwa won't mind if I said one wasn't likely to categorize him as somebody "famous".

But, damn, he sounds good to me! A proud addition to the page...

4. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    definately NOT famous!!! a very safe distance from famous actually. i'm just some guy with a bass

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Just some guy with a bass that can really play it :)

Nice sound, great playing, nice piece.

How were you mic'ed, and how was it recorded. Was the reverb added to the solo or was it just the room acoustics.

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed it. I'm gonna hit play and listen to it again now.

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    cool! thank you very much! i was in an isolation booth with a mic about 3 feet in front of the bass... i actually wanted the f hole miced and a seperate one for my fingers, but it seemed to work out ok the way we did it. its just a rough mix, but i like the tone of the bass for the most part. the reverb was added to the entire track later just to give everything some distance. it was very in your face and dry. just in case you were wondering, that's a kolstien fendt 7/8 size with correlli mediums on it. i was second guessing my choice of strings for a while, because they were very floppy and hard for me to play (but not floppier than gut, i'm not used to low tension strings at all) but that bass loves the low tension and it really speaks with them, so i left them. thanks again. its cool to hear the opinions of other players, although i get kind of nervous knowing other bass players are listening...

shwa

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer

+1 very very nice

8. Beautiful...

9. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    thank you thank you... is el chapultapeck still in denver? (did i spell that right?)

10. Close enough....it's still there, featuring a couple awful bands!
    IMO...

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    that's a bummer. last time i was there i saw a guy named kenny walker playing the bass... anyway, thanks for your compliment. you're a highly regarded tb veteran

12. You're more than welcome...I'd like like your playing even if I weren't a veteran.
    Oh, and Ken Walker isn't on either of the bad bands I mentioned. He's a good player.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow, that's some wonderful playing. Who's the sax man? You sound great together.

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    the guy on sax is my bud scott avidon. we've been playing together for just over 15 years now, so i think we have some level of esp with each other musically speaking. the drummer has been with us just as long too...

15. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    if you guys like, after i we get some threadage from this tune, i can post a swinger, which showes even better our esp with each other...

16. Do it!

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    +1

I'd love to hear it!

18. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Thanks for posting that gorgeous piece. Sir, you are a force on the double bass and in the gym.

If you google the sax player you find him playing with Harvie S. The Man Without A Name himself . . .

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Damn, so who's the band? Kudos to everbody!

Sasha - really nice sound and a beautiful, relaxed time feel. Didn't sound like a bass solo, just sounded like music. I felt like I was hearing a little George Mraz in your solo approach. I concur, post something else.

What studio did you record at?

20. I was gonna suggest that you fill out your profile,then realized that might give you away. Besides, the way you play, I figure you can do anything you want.