And the new Bass will Be?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bmaker, Oct 23, 2005.

1. bmaker

Sep 25, 2005
    HD Country
    I need help! I have narrowed it done to 3. A Warwick Corvette std 4 ($830), A Spector Rebob 4 dlx ($799), or a GL2000 Legacy ($589). The Warwick has Passive MEC's, The Spector has the EMG HZ and the GL well, has the American GL's. I know these may be completely different in an experienced mind but this is where I am at. I have a Yamaha BB404 J Bass right now and want to add a little punch to my collection. I can do a lot of different things with the Yamaha but I can't get that P bass sound at all. I guess I could through a MIM P Bass in the mix as well! Just ask yourself, if you had a J Bass already, what would you want to add the puch to the collection. Thanks all!
  2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well I own 2 J Basses and if I wanted something to add punch to my collection out of those three choices, I would defiently go with the Warwick. I just love the sound, look, and playability of them. So my vote is for the Warwick Corvette std 4.
  3. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    is the rebop the spector with the humbuckers or the p-j setup?

the GL would have a lot of tone options for you, that would be what I would lean towards.

i've generally never found a warwick to sound anywhere near a P-bass if thats what you're looking for.

and yeah, if you want the P-bass tone, buy one. There are things that can sound close, but nothing sounds exactly the same.
  4. bmaker

Sep 25, 2005
    HD Country
    The rebob has the humbucker's. They list them as passive with the active tonepump or something like that. It felt really nice. The GL is the only active one on the list which makes me lean a little that way but it didn't have the deep tone when I played it. It could very well be the rig it was through. With the Corvette, it is possible to upgrade to an active setup in the furture if I choose? If so, how $$? All in all, I really want a quality bass. German, Czech or Korean? Does it really matter these days?
  5. RE:PEAT

Jun 24, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    +1 :bassist:
  6. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Personally I'd go for the G&L or the Spector ReBop.... whichever feels & sounds right to you! :bassist:
  7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Keep the BB404; swap out the pups for Dimarzio Model J's, and give it a series/parallel wiring job. Then string it with flats.

I did it to mine.... and man, does it "punch"....

8. bmaker

Sep 25, 2005
    HD Country
    Hey, I am half way there! I just swapped out the Pups for the Model J's. How should the wiring go for the effect you have? I just soldered the Black and White wires together for each Pup. Do I need to get a different pot to accomplish this? I gotta know!!! Keep in mind, have already sold the wife on a new bass! Our secret ;) . What would you complement the BB with? Thanks.
  9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not too complex. I wrote it up in this thread:

Should be fine, since they're 4-wire pups.

Yes, you do. I used one of these (the 250Kohm version)

Now, this is a decision you have to make yourself, but my suggestion would be something different..... fretless? 5- or 6-string? Active?

You'll have to figure that one out on your own..... and that's the FUN part.....