Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And the search goes on, la-de-da-de-da...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Greywoulf, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Still looking for my 1/2 bass, but got my fingers crossed now regarding a contact... Thru a luthier, thru a teacher, thru another bass player/teacher, I've heard rumor of an older 1/2 Kay that "needs some work" that someone wants to sell just to get it out of the house, and am now waiting on a phone call about the matter.

Recently tried a 3/4 Pallidino that a dealer was going to "give me a break on" (Yeah, right! He was still a coupla c-notes too high after his "discount"!) And I didn't like the thing. Not at all... It definitely felt and looked cheesy to me; I kept thinking about painted cardboard...
    Also, are these Paladinos larger sized 3/4's? It definitely was too big for me; I could barely hook my left arm up around it in a comfortable position!

Anyway, it really did confirm that my choice of a 1/2 size is right for me. (At least for now). Because the last time I tried a 1/2, it felt absolutely perfect..........
    Wish me luck on the Kay,
    Greywoulf

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Certainly, good luck on the Kay! Just some food for thought, however -- I'm fairly certain Kay never made a 1/2-size bass, only 3/4- and 1/4-size.

3. I played a half-size Kay in eighth and ninth grade. So they probably didn't make a bunch, bu they certainly made some!

Beth

4. Cal Reeves

Cal Reeves

Feb 8, 2004
    Beth,

Kay & Engelhardt only made 3/4 & 1/4 size basses. The model M-3 or EM-3 are 1/4 size basses. I worked at Kay & now work at Engelhardt.

When Kay went through bankruptcy in 1969 we bought the forms an fixtures and the basses only had the two sizes.

Most instructors thought the M-3 was a 1/2 size.

If you can,t find what you are looking for please send me an e- mail. We dont sell to the public or to dealers, only through distributers.

E-mail Concert@engelhardtlink.com

Thanks,
    Cal Reeves

5. Ooops. Well, I guess I really played a fairly large quarter size then.....THEY (whoever that was) told me it was a half-size. Thanks for letting me know!

Beth

6. Cal Reeves

Cal Reeves

Feb 8, 2004
    I really didn't check out your location,

If some of these guys/girls can't help you, please let me know.

Maybe we can show you that a 3/4 size with the endpin all the way in will fit you, or we can make one for you !!

Cal Reeves
    Engelhardt-Link.com
    :bassist:

7. Your offer might be less than enthusiastically received, in view of a prior post:

8. Now I think Cal would be a REAL interesting guy to talk to!!

9. First, this quote from Ron Carter about how to buy and start off with a double bass... (And Mr. Carter IS my hero; to me he plays just about the BEST bass I've ever heard anywhere!)

From Ron Carter:
    "Don't buy a bass that's too big. Many students do. You've got to be able to play the whole bass in tune.
    – How close is the sound to what you want? Will the instrument allow you to develop a sound you can be responsible for? You can't manipulate sound that's not there.
    – Don't buy something too expensive. Buy something you can afford until you develop your ear.
    – Make sure it has the original scroll and the neck isn't nailed in.
    – Don't be impressed by the name – it may not be the right size or sound."

The main reason I've asked people not to post about their bass size preferences in response to my requests for information and help is that I've discovered on this forum that if you don't specify what it is you're really asking about, then the thread sometimes just trails off into a lot of different tracks quite quickly and you might not get your answer! Please, I don't mean to be rude here, just direct...

As for Cal from Engelhardt, I most certainly will contact him... (Thanks, Cal). But I've also just read that Kay did build a 1/2 bass, (called the M2, the M2 Army, and the M2 Navy), back in the 1940's! (Is that right?) But nothing like that since, that I can discern, so I'll probably have to give up on Kay 1/2's... :p

BTW, a 5/8's bass is not a great deal smaller than a 3/4, which is a 6/8's. And a 1/2 bass is NOT half the size of a 4/4, but considerably larger in ratio...
    Anyway, thanks everyone for your valuable assistance here. And I'm still askin' and alookin'.... :D
    Greywoulf

10. Well, in light of that knowlege, I wonder if the bass I played really was a half-size. I'm getting confuddled here! And you know...I'd like to talk to Carl too! ;) I can't find out enough info about Engelhardts to really compare them to anything effectively. I have a lot of great, informed opinions....that all disagree with each other. *soft sigh* And a bunch of technical data. Somehow, that doesn't help as much as I though it would.

And Greywoulf, threads do wander a bit, but I have to point out sometimes they wander to wonderful new places....But since you know exactly what you want it may be to your benefit to try to stay more focused. I know that I can't do a 3/4 size either-- I've been trying with very little luck.

Beth

11. MR PC

MR PC

Dec 1, 2007
    Hate to bring this old thread forward, but since it looks like the same Cal Reeves is the guy who says he bought Englehardt....and now he's started another thread asking if Englehardt is still making basses? What the ???:confused:

12. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Henry Reidstra in Kitchener and Stratford Ontario, which is not too far from you, has a couple of Chandler 5/8's for sale. They are fully carved. I've played them, they are pretty good.