1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

And the "What the Hell of the Day" award goes to...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jd56hawk, Mar 3, 2021.

1. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Inspired by the 70th Anniversary of the Precision Bass, Jason Smith’s Custom ‘60s P Bass Special is a celebration of both the Precision Bass and old western ghosts towns. The design of this P-Bass based around an early P-Bass vibe with modern playability and weathered old western appearance. Featuring a rustic, reclaimed, roasted pine body with nail and bolt holes, the wood has lived a life as an old grain elevator in Minnesota before becoming an instrument. The tooled leather hand-painted pickguard gives the instrument a look of elegance paired with the weathered body. A Josefina hand-wound PJ pickup set is slightly over-wound for higher output and deeper bass tone.
    7-L8tpik-JXz-KC7-Qx-ASo-ATo8-1200-80.jpg

2. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Sounded good until I scrolled down and saw the pickguard.

EagleMoon, djaxup, DaDo625 and 54 others like this.
  3. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Still better than that Fender Custom Shop Lighthouse bass...

4. That's just wrong . . . . .

5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    .. roasted pine body with nail and bolt holes, the wood has lived a life as an old grain elevator in Minnesota before becoming an instrument.
    That's pretty cool

TrevorG, BadJazz, Logic_11 and 16 others like this.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I find it absolutely fine, what's not to love ?
    The flowery theme says countrystyle loud and clear.
    Are you guys so threatened in your masculinity that you can't handle floral motifs on a pickguard?

The wood supply reminds me of one of Dusty Hill's basses that was made from a beam in Muddy Waters's house.

TrevorG, JEDI BASS, Mugwump and 29 others like this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I'm with you - everything's good except that pickguard - might be right for someone, just not me.

8. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I see no problem with it. Besides, I prefer older wood as having more character than that "green" pine/alder/ash or other weed-trees that our stuff is made of now.

9. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    But...that#s what gives this bass a look of elegance...!

10. versalog

versalog

Nov 10, 2007
    Vermont, U.S.A.
    That ain’t no lie.

TheAnalogKid likes this.
  11. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    here’s the text without the colorful marketing mumbo jumbo:
    Jason Smith’s Custom 70th Anniversary ‘60s P Bass Special features a reclaimed, roasted pine body with nail and bolt holes. The wood was an old grain elevator in Minnesota before becoming an instrument. There is a tooled leather hand-painted pickguard. A Josefina hand-wound PJ pickup set is slightly over-wound for higher output and deeper bass tone.
    :thumbsup:

12. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    GE Smith has a custom P Bass built from 200 year old pine taken from old buildings in NY.

of course he has had his since at least 2010. If fender is doing this it means it will become the next fashion trend

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    the harp unstrung likes this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    As long as its real wood and real nail and bolt holes, im down with it. Pickguards are a matter of taste, and easily swapped with a screwdriver, some cool tooled leather ones around, more like a saddle. A TB'er made a Ric bass out of old barn wood a few years back, the "Barnbacker", cool as hell, and a worry-free bass, as the accumulation of playing wear would only improve it.

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i don't want it...it has the metal thingies where you play. :D

but that doesn't mean it's not a cool-looking ax! someone will love it...and have it.

"next!" :laugh:

Dubious Aa and Killing Floor like this.
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have been struggling to salvage a bunch of dilapidated barns on my property, so the reclaimed barn wood aesthetic is not for me. I do think that pick guard would look cool on a white bass, though.

16. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    How dare you assume our genders.

EagleMoon, JEDI BASS, Slidlow and 9 others like this.
  17. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Reminds of Nashville in the 60’s and 70’s ...... I like it.

18. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I kinda like it, to be honest witcha'.

19. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I like it. I'd play it in public, no problem at all. But I'd want a rosewood board. I assume these are ridiculously spendy, so I'm in no danger.

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I really like the reclaimed timber, both as an ecological thing and because it looks good. I generally loathe pickguards, but agree that a tooled leather one with the right design could look excellent, and even if I owned it wouldn't be at the back of the rack with a sheet over it lest it embarrass the other basses.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021