1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

And the winner is: Lakland Darryl Jones Skyline 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Oct 5, 2008.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Yesterday was a new bass day for me!

I sold all my gear and went looking for a new one that suited my needs.

I posted a thread here that said I was doubting between the new MIA fender, Lakland Darryl jones and the Sandberg California JJ.

My first choice was the darryl jones. I played the MIA first. I was very impressed! Very good quality in general. Not a thing to remark on that bass (all the ones I tried). The Sandberg. Same here. Very well built. Played like nothing. Very deep sounding.

And yesterday I went to a store the sold Lakland (there aren't that many in Belgium). First I played a 4401. It was the first lakie I've ever played after hearing so many good things here on TB. I must say I fell from heaven. Maybe it was that particular bass. But it dissapointed me. The neck felt thin, the frets had sharp edges and the sound was not bad, but not my cup of tea. I know this is entry level model, but still... Then I played a JO and it was good, but not it didn't do it for me. If I wanted a straight jazz, I would have preferred the MIA jazz. Then I played the DJ 5. It was amazing. Played like a dream. Sounded so thick yet articulate. I was glad that after the 4401 the other lakies were as good as I heard here. But they didn't have a DJ4. Luckely in their other store they had one. So I went there and that one was just as amazing as the 5er. It played so smooth and sounded thunderous, yet never boomy. Ver balanced an articulate when playing chords or in the upper register. And thats a thing that more traditional jazzes lack sometimes IMO.

So I bought the damn thing and I couldn't be more happy. It was little over my budget, but even my girlfriend was happy when she saw how happy I was with the bass. It was love at first sight.

I believe it's a model from 07 with the aero pickups in them. The serial is 07043990.

Can anybody tell me if this is correct? Not that it matters that much. It sound amazing anyway!

Now to make this thread legit! Some pics of my baby!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope you enjoy them! I know I do.

It isn't the lightest bass I've played. It weighs about 9.3 lbs. But according to the lakland site it's about average (range from 8.5-11).

I will post some clips in a few days!

2. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    serial 0704.. means 2007 April. I don't recall whether that means it has aeros or not. I can't recall when they made the switch. Congrats on a fine bass.

3. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    SWEEET!

A good reward for the effort you obviously put in. I agree on the 4401 BTW, I tried one next to a Duck Dunn and Bob Glaub and the P types were much better.

4. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks for the replies.

About the serial number: it was wat I figured. April 2007.

Any know if they still used aeros?

This was the first time I could go bass shopping with a serious budget. I am idd glad my search and the effort I put into it payed off!!

5. lowdownwalt

lowdownwalt

Mar 23, 2008
    BC Canada
    BEAUTY :cool:

Great close-up photography!

Sure nice when you score a winner :bassist:

6. Nice score. I really want to play some Laklands, but can't find them in my area... gotta wait and go to Toronto.

Congratulations.

7. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    You'll be very surprised when you finally get to play them.

Maybe you'll even take one home with you like me!

8. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Open the cavity! If the wires on both pups are black&white then Aeros. If you see brown&green(?)&red(?)&black(?) then they're Laklands.

9. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks!

Apparently they are laklands. The whirecolours are black/red and black/green.

Either way, they sound awesome!

Anybody knows who makes those pickups?

Are they made by a known manufacturer?

Btw: I've lowerd the strings a bit and it plays even better without strings buzz!

Awesome bass!

10. Nice! The Skyline DJ4 is at the top of my list for those looking for a more 'boutique' J that is aggressive and growly but still has lot's of true Fender J tone to it.

While I am underwhelmed with the other Skyline models, for some reason, the DJ, to me, is every bit the quality, fit and finish, etc. of the much higher priced boutique J's. Top quality, and the downsized body and neck profile (I believe copied from a pre CBS Fender J for the 4 string) is just wonderful.

Enjoy that beauty!!!! To me, it's one of the best price/value basses out there right now.

11. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks Kjung!

I totally agree!

But it's nice to hear this from someone with your experience in gear. I haven't had the chance to play the more boutique basses like sadowsky, AC or celinder.

I'm glad my baby comes close to the big guns.

The combination of thick fender tone with more agressive bite and overall definition was what really attracted me. That and the amazing feel, cool looks and pure comfort in playing it offcourse. :hyper:

12. I've read the DJ has 70's style spacing, and I've read that it has 60's style bridge pup placing. Anyone know the truth?

13. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I don't know the truth about that.

But it looks and sounds to me that the bridge PU is closer to the bridge than with the basses i've had/played with 60's bridge pu placing.

14. Congratulations. I have one in the Lake Placid Blue color and absolutely love it. Like you said, it plays easily and sounds wonderful. You made a great choice - I hope it brings you a lot of pleasure as you play.

15. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    The missus looked over and said your DJ looks better than my natural.:crying:

16. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    what can I say!

It's a ladykiller :).

As long as your missus likes you best everything is A-OK!

Btw is your natural the AC that has a thread running now?

I wouldn't say so blunt that it is better looking. Your bass is awesome to! If it's the AC offcourse, otherwise I wouldn't know. :)

17. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    even though I have two US DJs on order, if they make natural bodied skylines available, I may have to get a natural/rosewood dj. That would just look killer

18. I'm pretty sure it is 60's spacing. The bridge pickup looks closer to the bridge because of the circular design of the bridge bottom plate, which extends toward the neck more than even the amount the bridge pickup was moved toward the bridge on the 70's models.

The confusion also comes from the aggressive nature of the voicing of this bass, which is about as far from what most describe as the 60's tone as you can get in a passive J. It's a snarly, growly beast (at least with the original Aero's... I have not heard the Lakland pickups in this bass yet).

19. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    there have been threads and posts galore about the spacing of the DJ. No one seems to just measure the distance from the bridge to the pickup..

20. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I guess you're right Ken. You have way more experience than me in this.

What do you mean with voicing then?

What determins the voicing of bass? The pickups and pots?

The lakland pickups make it sound like a snarling growling beast to. At least mine does!

I've heard a comparison here by a tber between the aeros en laklands. The lakie pickups sounded just as snarling as the aeros on the soundclips.