And the Winner is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Yamaha TRB5II

15 vote(s)
  2. Bass Collection SB465

4 vote(s)
  3. Warwick (please specify)

43 vote(s)
  4. Lackland Skyline (5 string)

54 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002

If you could choose only one of this basses, which one would be the winner (or if you have any other suggestions... they really are more than welcome ;) ). My choices are so restrict because I am in search for a 5 string and, mainly because I live in Portugal where we do not have acess to basses like MTD, Fodera, Roscoe (I know all this basses are way better than the ones in the poll!!). I really do not want to (understand... can't) spend more than 1000€ to 1400€ - more or less the same in USD. I think string spacing is a issue because my Cort Artisan has a very tight string spacing and I really would want something wider (so I can slap as well!).
    My main styles are blues, jazz and funk.
    I really would appreciate some help here, as I am begining to feel lost!!
    Thank for everything!!!
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  3. I voted for the Yamaha because I just happen to like Yamaha products. Is there any chance you could afford a Musicman Stingray 5?

Mike J.
  4. I haven't tried any of those But I think I would go for either the yamaha or a warwick.. depending on the price.
  5. xerogh

xerogh Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2002
    Pennsylvania, USA
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the Bass Collection bass. If your looking for a good funk bass, that is the one for you.

My opinion is a bit biased because I have had one (four string) since 1988, and I love the way it plays! The only knock I have on it is that it is not a great studio bass. If your mainly doing studio work, get a bass with heavier wood.

I’ll try to comment on the others:

I've never played a Skyline, so I cannot comment on them.

I didn't like the older Yamaha's, but I did play a newer one recently and it was very nice. They are making better quality instruments now.

I'm not a big Warwick fan. They are clunky and the tone is a bit flat. But they seem to have a loyal following, and I must admit they are built very well.

So my rating would go:

1) Bass Collection
    2) Yamaha
    3) Skyline (benefit of the doubt)
    4) Warwick

Are there Bass Collection dealers in Europe? I was looking for a 5 string or a 5 string fretless Bass Collection bass but couldn’t find one here in the US.

6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    As you are in Europe, Esh's basses are pretty good deal. is where their website is at.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can afford a Lakland Skyline 55-02, that would be my number one choice. If you can't, then I would say the Lakland Skyline 55-01.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Yamaha, because it plays well. :)

Which one spoke to you?

9. none of the above... for 1,000-1,400 you shold be able to get something awfuly nice from a local luthier
  10. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    First of all I reallky would like to thank you all for your replies... This site is awsome!
    I think I will wait to try a Lackland and then I will decide...
    Well, this saturday I woke up and decided to give it a try on 6 string basses! :D So I guess I will have to post a new poll!!!
    Once again, thank you all for your time!
  11. toshiya

Jun 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm with Adrian on this one... Lakland, go for it.

Warwicks, if you have small hands, stay away, they model their necks after the baseball bats of the titans! Plus, I never agreed with the sound on a warwick, kinda cool slap tone, but fingered... well, lets just say... FOR ME TO POOP ON! :D
  12. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    go with the laklands... the skylines are wonderful instruments, and the are getting some really variety in the lineup... you can bet that you will find something that you like!

13. Lakland, best bass out of that bunch, best electronics, best customer service, and IMHO the best service too.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Lakland, just 'cause
  15. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Streamer Stage 1 5 string..........but I'm not biased or anything of that nature. Endorsement? What endorsement?! :confused:
  16. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    I'd choose the Yamaha due to my familiarity with their products, but I chose two - the other being the Lakland.
  17. warwick, probably just a standard bubinga corvette four. fat warm puchiness...yum.
  18. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit

As long as you get one with active electronics, unless you want a four string fretless, then the Corvette Standard is cool.

A lot has to do with sound and feel. Warwick basses don't feel like anything else. Furthermore, their electronics (even the older Corvette 6's with Bassline pickups) have a distinct sound that some love but some hate. If you like the sound and feel, there isn't anything else.

I have only played one of the Rockbass series, and if you have a Cort Artisian now, the bass you have is probably just as good. I wasn't impressed with the one I played, but then again, they are supposed to have MEC (Warwick) pickups and preamps, so they probably have the sound.

Oh two cents worth...

19. smashkick14

Jan 10, 2002
    everett wa
    those are the words im looking for, but the other basses are still excellent choices, i prefer the "dead" tone
  20. rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I would get a warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman or a streamer jazzman.