And the winner of American Idol 2 is:

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick Gann, May 21, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Well, I think the show did its job. He's got one hell of a voice!

Out of 24 million votes, he won by only 1300 votes :eek: That's insane!!! I did the math, thats 1 two-thousandths of a percent!!!!!!!!! Closest vote for anything in history!
  2. Hmm? Oh yah. I forgot to watch even one minute of one episode...I was prolly to busy practicing ;) lol.

I'm not knocking the program or anyone else. It's just a polar opposite of tea for me is all.

Good for him. I just really had other things to do lol.
  3. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I didn't catch it, but thats cool! he was my favorite among those who were on the few episodes I watched.
  4. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Never watched it. Everybody at work was going psycho over Ruben though.:rolleyes:
  5. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I watched american idol once. It was so disappointing. Randy Jackson didn't play a single note.
  6. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Of the glance I got of the show when my family was watching, Ruben reminded me of Stevie Wonder. The overall happiness of the two men I guess.
  7. I don't find it at all inconceivable that as much as 1/3 of all Americans watched this, so 24 million votes--even allowing for vote-stuffing--isn't out of the question.
  8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well SMASH, I'm glad to ruin your hope in human society. A quote from Entertainment Tonight:

In reality, it is more like 50.000025% to 49.999975% (I did the math).

Here is the full article for those who don't believe what I said :rolleyes:
  9. SMASH: something like 97% of American households own a television. With that in mind, saying that 33% of TV owners watched this--which is what the Nielsen figures are supposed to represent, so I'll be curious to see the stats on the American Idol 2 finale--is not at all unreasonable. We're certainly not talking about an order of magnitude difference here.

Think about it: for the Super Bowl and the Oscars every year, the estimate is that between 1 and 2 billion people worldwide watch at least part of them. Given that at least one third of the world's population cannot afford a television, we're talking about the majority of the Western world watching this.

I think you're letting the behavior of your peer group, who I'm sure are mostly people with better things to do than have their brains put into alpha sleep by cathode ray emissions at 30Hz, distort your perceptions of reality. The fact is, if there's one thing that Americans do--rich, middle-class, and poor; black, brown, yellow, and white--it's watch a whole lot of TV.
  10. Apparently you can vote as often as you like. I have a friend (with no life) who voted 37 times for Rueben.
    I can only imagine all the 12 yr old girls that voted 300+ times.
    P.S. Anyone remember "The Cut" w/Lisa Lopez that was on MTV? American Idol stole their show. David Foster was The Cut's simon.
    Anastacia was "discovered" on the cut (she placed 2nd) and now she is the number one selling artist in Europe (and she CAN sang!)
    I do love Simon though. He's almost always right on target.
  11. Yeah on last nights broadcast they said the vote was 1,300 difference. On the TODAY show this AM they said it was 130,000
    Rueben's last name's not BUSH is it?
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I haven't watched TV in almost a decade now... so I've never seen either run of it.

but I'm really digging "Miss Independant" from Kelly Clarkson (last years winner, right?) :bag:
  13. Man, I should eat more fruit. I need more fiber in my diet.
  14. A Rock

A Rock

Mar 18, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    ruben?is the the big black guy? hes cool..the only reason i know cuz i never miss an episode of 24 which comes on right after american idol.

24 Rules! :D
  15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i didn't watch it, but a few of the guys in my band were really pulling for him - because he's got soul, and he's a BIG dude, much like most of the guys in the band :)
  16. Where are the winners of American "Idol" 1?

17. ;)
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    actually, if you read my post, Kelly Clarkson is all over the pop radio here in NJ with "Miss Independent". It's a pretty catchy tune.
  19. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    umm...randy jackson is an awesome bassist