1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

And then there were 3 Celinders...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SCT1422, Jul 19, 2007.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

I don't know if I can officially re-claim the title of "The Celinder King" that SoulBrother/Werner once bestowed upon me.. I've owned 7 Celinders and now I'm back to 3..
    The Vintage Jazz 5 in Shoreline Gold I've owned since Oct 2003 and I love this bass.. I just recently did a fill-in for a Steely Dan tribute band and another fill-in for a Led Zepplin tribute band and this just nailed the sound and tone.. It also plays great, I've never had to adjust the neck or string height since I got it...
    The Update 5 in Blonde I just got a few weeks ago (thanx Eric) and it rocks.. It has a Badass bridge which I do not like, fortunately I have a Celinder bridge that I will replace it with and convert it to be strung-thru the body which I prefer... I also put the mother of pearl guard on there, but may go back to the black one..
    The Vintage PJ-5 in Teal Green I just bought back from Lowell (thanx Lowell and congrats on the engagement) whose a great guy and cool to deal with.. I originally bought this bass in 2004, but never got attached to it.. I've always regretted selling it and the timing worked out well... This one I may put flats on, but not sure.. It already sounds different from the others so I may keep it that way...

2. dang bro, NICE basses!!:)

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    The only thing I know that ran well on 3 Celinders was an old Saab I had.

(I guess I am dating myself with that comment!)

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    They look good together. :)

5. You are a true Celinder King!
    Never played a Celinder PJ, but assume this is a very versatile instrument.
    Enjoy :)

6. Cool! I too winced a little when I saw that badass bridge on that beautiful update (and also the 'non Greengrove pre'). I'm glad you can muscle that one back the way it should be!

Enjoy!!!

K

Ps Your shoreline gold Celinder was part of the inspiration for my purchase of my shoreline gold Alleva-Coppolo. I don't know why, but that finish really does it for me. I have a mint guard and maple board on mine, and it really looks classic and old school!

7. SCT1422

I'm also trying to get an original preamp for the Update as well, not too crazy about the Aguilar.. It sounds good, just too much power...
    The Shoreline Gold one is cool looking and I love the old school kind of look.. There was a Creme/Tortoise guard one that I sold to SoulBrother/Werner that looked great.. The Creme looks like yellowed Olympic White.. Very cool...
    Somebody had another PJ-5 a black one, but with a maple board.. That one would look great with a tortoiseshell guard as well...

I'm also curious to check out a Alleva Coppolo as well...

8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    All Bow to tha King!

9. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Oh, wow. Although, that shoreline needs a mint guard, not tort. Or switch the tort with the white perloid in the natural.

10. SCT1422

It's very versatile.. I love how when you turn down one volume control you don't lose volume right away, but it changes the tone/EQ/sound.. If I want more mids I use more of the P pickup, alittle more highs and it's more of the J pickup.. They all sound very organic, nothing artificial and the bass boost adds a nice kick in the pants...

11. SCT1422

Thanx Lowell.. Hope all is well and once again thank you... Steve..