Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And then there were 7......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, May 30, 2005.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Since I received my Marchlewski last April, I've been sailing along with five of the coolest basses known to man (this man, at least). I have my two Alembics and my two Hanewinckels and my Marchlewski.

Then last week one of my guitar playing friends told me about a blow-out sale at Huber & Breese. Now, Huber & Breese is one of two Ken Smith dealers in the area (Low Down Sound is the other). Well, I didn't pick up a Ken Smith, but I did pick up a Fernandes Nomad bass. It's also known as an Elephant Bass. If you look at it at the correct angle that name becomes apparent.

Then this morning I read a thread on how somebody went into their local Guitar Center and picked up a Stingray 5 for a ridiculously low price. I went to the Southfield, Mi GC and played a couple of SR5s and an SR4 and a 1979 Sting Ray. I also played a blue Bongo 5 with white pearloid pickguard and J/MM pickups. That one came home with me.

So, after going more than a year, totally satisfied with the 5 basses I had, I go out and in the matter of a couple weeks, I pick up two more.

I got the Fernandes for $250. I was originally planning to pick up the Guild Ashbury rubber string bass for my kids to dink around on, but for $50 more, I figured the Fernandes was a better deal. It uses standard short scale strings and has an embedded speaker, so the kids can play it anywhere in the house. They also think it's way cool that they can plug their bass into my practice amp.

I think I'm done buying basses, for maybe another year or so. Unless..........

Peace,

James

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You must learn patience, young paduwan.

(yea, I saw the movie :cool: )

Pics later this evening.

Peace,

James

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Okay, here's the Fernandes Nomad (Elephant Bass)

[​IMG]

and here's the Bongo

[​IMG]

Peace,

James

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That Fernandes is too cute.

6. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hahaha...... try putting in a 300 watt speaker and a huge amp in that fernandes..... you could make some *wicked* feedback!

:D

7. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    I suddenly have this desire for animal crackers.... Great finds enjoy!