Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And then there were two...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, May 22, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I now own one percent of all the Steinberger bass Transtrems that ever existed. Only 200 were made, and there's no telling how many of them actually made it onto a bass. But now I have two!

Behold:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This new one is going to need a little work. First of all, it needs electronics. I'm thinking of going with LoneStar Pitbulls in there, to give a different sound than the EMGs, and of course an Aguilar OBP1 will be installed at 18v. It needs a whammy bar; the one was included was for a guitar, and isn't long enough. Perhaps I can get a machine shop to make another for me. It's also missing the neck plate, but other than that, it's in a bit better shape than my old one. I'm going to put a Moses fretless neck on this one, too.

This is it! My search for basses is complete (not that I am much of a bass hound anyway). These will be the only two basses I will ever need. Yay, me!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Liar.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1

(actually I know how he feels... I'm feeling pretty "bass complete" at the moment myself, but GAS will overcome.)

4. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually, in 13 years of playing bass, I've only owned 3 basses. This is my fourth and most probably my last.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Cool! I've had 12 in 24 years of playing. the 11th I got in March was replacing my #1 "playable" bass (first was a Garbage Pick by my GrandPa and replaced quickly as it was mostly unplayable) in a grasp at retaining my misspent youth so it doesn't count.

I almost bought one of those when they came out... Nice basses!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Hmmmm... just clicked around your site. What you lack in bass quantity, you seem to have made up in amps :D

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow, I was about to ask if they were really "Trans" trems -- but I see here they are. Cool.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Busted!

Yeah, the Transtrem thing is WAY cool. You can transpose the whole bass up or down to various steps, and each string stays in tune relative to each other. Pretty neat. Not to mention chicks dig the whammy bar. :ninja:

9. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    i would have loved to see a bass bigsby.

10. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Benjamin, I also have a Steinberger XM (no TransTrim) but a neat bass, it's black with white binding , double ball strings are getting hard to come by so it's not being played much these day's , I'm back to playing my Alembic's, but I would love to have a wammy bar on my bass, it would drive my guitar players crazy :eyebrow:

David T

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    David, actually it's never been easier to get a wide selection of double-ball strings - Status Graphite. They sell direct, and are *very* reasonable even with the trans-Atlantic shipping.

My XM2A wears Rob's flatwounds - they're great!

12. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Very cool, Benjamin! I dig Steinbergers myself although I don't currently own one. Hmmm. Maybe I need to go on the hunt... :p

13. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You don't need two - send one to me! :D Congrats - I've only had a chance to play with a TT once, and it was way cool.

Did I tell you about the red XM2 with Barts I saw last weekend at the guitar show? Hoot! Schwing!

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Check this out. It's an entire website devoted to selling double ball strings.

Click me, and be amazed.

15. Fretless on a bas with a wang bar? Seems a bit...overkill don't you think :D

You'll be lucky to ever get to your real pitch with all those options of sliding, diving, bending, pulling and stretching... :)

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You make it sound so naughty. :)

17. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Transtrem hog! :D

18. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

19. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'd be showing those off too!!!!

i love that body style!

not if you spend ANY amount of type in THIS forum.

history has shown that TalkBass G.A.S. is EXTREMELY containgious.

where a condom when you visit here, and never, EEVER look at the family pic threads!

f

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh, I have floated around in the Basses forum quite a bit. Honestly, I just don't find owning a bunch of basses that interesting, so I think I am immune to the contagiousness.

If we start talking Mesa/Boogie, however.... ;)