And this is why all lawyers must die.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by syciprider, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If they can cause damage they're use should be restricted.
  3. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    So can I assume from this Brad that you would be for limiters being put on all Bass Amps so they can't possibly hurt someone's ears? :smug:
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Stupid lawsuit, but I definitely don't think all lawyers should die. Maybe just criminal defense lawyers, 'cept for Tom Bowlus.
  5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I actually give the guy props for sueing, I wish I would have thought of that. Just like that idiot who sued Mcdonalds for burning herself with hot coffee.

I would easily burn myself with coffee for a few hundred grande.

And don't worry, Apple has PLENTY of money they will never spend, so it's alright to sue them.
  6. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep. Exactly. God forbid people should take responsibility for their own actions. What kind of world are you proposing we live in anyhow? {/sarcasm}
  7. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    It is? They (apple) will just pass that cost on to other consumers. Doesn't seem fair to me. If someone is dumb enough to ruin their hearing with an ipod I don't feel like that is a good indicator they would be the ideal person to hand thousands of dollars. Especially when it's at my expense.
  8. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Does it strike anyone else funny that a guy from Louisiana chose San Jose to file suit?
  9. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    grrr But this is what's wrong with America. Yes, we should have the right to sue companies taking advantage of their consumer base or hurting the environment etc etc. However, frivolous law suits liek this are what tie up our courts and as already said, the cost will just sink to the consumer. How do you put a price tag on your hearing? The amount he could have made at work for the next fifty years before taxes? If his hearing was already in question he shouldn't have used a personal music device with headphones that are inserted IN YOUR EAR CANAL, end of story. He's going after Apple because they control over 50% of the market share for personal music devices. If Sony had a marketable MP3 player that was as widely used as the iPod, thus making it justifiable that he would have used it, he would have gone after Sony.

So i think it's not the inherent problem, but your attitude that upsets me. It's this irresponsible "I can sue any corporation I want because it doesn't hurt anyone" attitude that full on just grinds my gears. There are people that get fired when this stuff happens, and it's not the people you'd like to. Whenever there's corporate downsizing it's the kids in the mail room or the design staff; people fresh out of college trying to pay off their debts or pay rent and establish credit. They get screwed over in the end.

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Silly America. Stop sueing eachother every 5 minutes. Take it like a man.
  11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    ^^ I agee. But in this situration I still say if you can't beat them, join them. Espically if you can get a few hundred grand out of something as stupid as this.

Sadly that's the way this country works. There is so much undistributed wealth, I guess in a weird kind of way this helps spread is out a little more.
  12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I bet you won't think that way when a burglar hurts himself breaking into your home and then slaps you with a lawsuit.
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    This my fellow TB'ers, is what is wrong with the world.
  14. in that case, i'm sueing microsoft for making windows xp, which pisses me off on a daily basis
  15. i'm sueing several car companies for making cars that go over 55 mph because anything over 55 is unsafe...heck 29 mph for that matter...
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I always thought consumer vehicles shoudn't be designed to go faster than 10 mph higher that the country's highest speed limit, but I know I'm alone on that one...

As for the Ipod thing, why don't these leeches grow some guts and take up smoking so they can moan about contracting a real ailment? Pansies. At least cigarettes thin out the herd.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There is more to the coffee case than what you saw in the popular media.

WRT your Apple comment, allow me to enlighten you. Lawsuits or not, Apple is not going to let their margins diminish. This means that the losses they suffer as the result of the lawsuit will translate to higher prices on their products. It is the consumer who ultimately is paying the settlement/judgement. Thought you might like to know.
  18. Why are people so damn greedy? I mean, the guy must know how absurd this is, he just wants money.

19. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    umm....does this mean I can sue Ampeg???
    damn...I'd much rather sue New Kids On The Block!!!
  20. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Here's the problem. There is a judge that will hear this crap, then there are lawyers that argue this crap.

Here's the solution. From here on in, slap a warning on the iPod packaging that warns of hearing loss from loud earphones. Then with advertisements and on the website, also put a warning. There, problem solved. Now if anyone wants to kill their hearing, they must do it knowing that Apple warned them. Problem solved.

Here's the thing, with all these idiotic warnings, some asshat had to have done this to warrant most of these warnings. There's no sense of personal accountability here! The way I look at it is this. Most science text books from middle school through high school will touch on the science of sound, and what sound does to you. If you didn't pay attention, you get an F. No suing, no retakes, you're too stupid to realize that the ringing that you get after standing in from of a 50,000 watt PA system, or putting on your iPod full blast means that something is wrong.

Why can't stupidity be more painful? Maybe people would learn then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.