And what are these folks like?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Alright I need some more suggestions, what are the following artists like? Good? Bad? Suggestions on Albums to get?

John Zorn
    JJ Cale
    Thelonious Monk
    Mark Lanegan solo stuff
    Nils Frykdahl
    Fawn Fables
    Mark Sandman
    Idiot Flesh
    Charming Hostess
    Duane Eddy
    Dire Straits
    Ry Cooder

thanks yall.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Nils. The git/flute/singer of STGM. I wasn't aware he had solo stuff.

Fawn Fables. Nils Fyrkdahl and Fawn playing creepy acoustic stuff. They are the opener for STGM concerts.

Idiot Flesh - STGM before STGM. Way out of print, hopefully Wrong Robot can hook me up with this.

Charming Hostess - Another band containing most of STGM before STGM was formed.

Dire Straits. I have a greatest hits album you can have.

Mark Sandman. The voice and bass for Morphine, I have no experience with him outside of that group.

JJ Cale. One of the greatest songwriters ever. Tons of his songs were sung and made popular by other arists. Cocaine by Clapton is one example.

Mark Lanagen. Sounds like Tom Waits but more rock and roll than just drunk.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Thelonious Monk? Good gravy, you could do a search, or check out Allmusic for his stuff. Much of it's spot on.

Everyone talks about "Brilliant Corners" being his 'to-get' album, I don't think it is; it's a good disc with some great musicians and very good pieces, but it's not as together as some of his later stuff. Worth picking up? Yes, but not his best by far.

My personal faves are "Monk's Dream" and "Monk with Coltrane", both are incredible discs. Any discs with his quartet are worth getting as well.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

I'm a recent convert to Zorn-ism...his catalog is vast!
    I suggest Radio by Naked City; don't get hurt listening to the 1st tune.

Also, some discs from his 50th Birthday Celebration-
    Electric Masada(Vol. 7? Yellow/Brown cover)
    Masada(Vol.4? Pink cover)
    Duet with Milford Graves(Vol___? Green cover)