Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And what is wrong with Peavey?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blackbird, May 30, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why is it that Peavey equipment has such a bad rep? Is it because they don't specialize in bass stuff like Eden? Some people say Peavies sound bad but my Zon seems to sound better through my Minx 110 that through my Hartke Kickback (No Hartke bashing, please), although the bass sounds great through any combo. In my experience, Peavey equipment is tough and relatively affordable. Opinions, anyone?

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    You can't hold no groove if you ain't got no pocket!

2. I have several bass playing friends who use Peavey equipment. They all seem to like it. I think it is good "workhorse" equipment. One story I can relate, as it concerns Peavey vs. higher-end stuff: a friend of mine used to have two Peavey 4x10s. He replaced them with one Eden 4x10. The Eden by itself sounds bigger than the two Peaveys together, with the same amp (SM-900). I heard him test it all out side-by-side.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I can just say that I had a Trace Elliot head and a Peavey 410TX cab. The cab could never carry the potential of the amp. It actually performed rather bad. I was never happy about it. That's why I don't like Peavey.

4. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    As a former Peavey Patriot bass and TKO amp owner, here's what I think is wrong with Peavey: terrible sound, poor reliability, lousy service, horrible resale value, cumbersome package, mediocre playability, cheap components.

5. I use a Peavy 410 and a 115 while they are ok I am not totally satified also their solid state power amps are so-so. But I love my Bassfex and my Peavy tube, and solid state preamps which are used with a Peavy tube power amp and a QSC power amp.

------------------
    Carl

6. I feel Peavey is a bit hit and miss. They have some really oustanding products, while others are so so.

Their line of "Classic" guitar amps (all tube, tweed covers) are absolutely fantastic. They also have several great instruments like the Cirrus bass, Axcellerator guitar and bass, Wolfgang, etc.

I've often found their bass amps and speakers lack good projection in a room. They tend to sound quite good under the ear but when you listen from across the room the sound is not very focused.

I do like the Minx 110 a lot. In addition to being a good practice amp for bass, it works EXTREMELY well with my Seagull acoustic guitar (with LR Baggs pickup). For some reason it amplifies the guitar very efficiently with a really great tone. Although it's only 35W (I think?) I was able to play with sufficient volume in an otherwise fairly loud electric Country band.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've been using PV amps for the past 18 years
    And i've been real happy with them. Up until the beginning of this year I used two PV 410TX cabs with a Mark-VIII solid state head.
    The cabs are 8 ohms each so the load totalled 4 ohms on the amp which output 350 watts RMS at 4 ohms. It was a very good set-up, how ever I missed the tone and warmth of tubes, so I sold the Mk-8 and bought a new Classic 400 tube head. The Classic 400 runs 400 watts RMS into either a 4 or 8 ohm load. Again my 2 x 410TX cabs placed the same load of 4 ohms onto the amp. When I got the Classic 400, I had to turn my master volume down by half. And my bass is still very predominent in the band. This amp is very loud!!
    This is a fantastic amp, even though the 6550 tubes PV puts in it are not the best (Chinese made). My band mates and I can't believe the difference in sound coming out of the two 410TX's. They were good before and awesome now, with the Classic 400.
    I've always found Peavey equipment to be very reliable. I like the price and I like the sound I get from their equipment.
    You will find that there are some people who hate Peavey equipment and others who love it, just like you'll find some people love Ford and hate GM. We all have our own likes and dislikes and that's ok.
    But to answer your question "What's wrong with Peavey"? Nothing in my opinion!!

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm on my second PV combo and would buy another in a heartbeat. I've used them for several years with no problem. Of course you can't realistically compare a 50 to 100 watt peavey combo with a strong stack but watt for watt and dollar for dollar, I don't believe you can beat them.

9. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I like my Peavey rig. I've never had a problem with it. I have all the power I need and I have a tone that I'm finally satisfied with.

Chris A.

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I think I can agree with the statement, that there seem to be great differeces in different models. I once played a Mark something head through a 2x12" cab and was very pleased. But I also tested a 150W-combo some years ago and it was really by far the worst thing I ever heard and it was twice as heavy as comparable products.
    Weight is maybe one point, that makes a great difference to more expensive products. Peavey gear seems to be rather "conservative design" and therefore heavier.
    Matthias

11. Gel

Gel

Mar 26, 2000
    Tauranga, New-Zeland
    I personally don't think much of Peavey because on my first gig, I borrowed someone's Peavey 50 W amp (througth a PA) and also someone's top-of-the-line Ibanez Soundgear (different story).

Anyway, the I played the first bracket great. It went fine, I couldn't really hear myself, but that's what I was told.

So, start of second bracket, the amp stuffs. I was made to look like an ass.
    I didn't let it get to me, so next time I played I used the same amp. Same damn problem.

The guy told me it's happened with evry Peavey he's ever owned, this own is relatively reliable. Yeah, right.

So, I never will buy a Peavey for more than $15 now.

Sorry to bore you all.

12. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Funny topic because I was talking to somebody about this last week.

To me, it's a sign of the times.

I used to play through a 400 pound Peavey head and a 2x18 Peavey cabinet that made the SVT look small. It was louder than hell and everything sounded like mush. That was during a time when tone didn't matter, it was all about being loud...ala Van Halen.

Peavey doesn't strike me as being very "modern" or "vintage" company because they seemed to get stuck in the metal years.

Yep, that a totally incorrect statement because they were the first (and only??) co to put out a Midi Bass and Bromberg's signature series...which were awesome.

However, having that "Peavey" on stage just makes me think of a few years in my life I would rather forget.

13. How can you guys compare Eden stuff to Peavey stuff?

Eden cabinets cost about 3 times as much (in my country that is). No wonder why it sounds better. Peavey is IMO budget equipment (I'm not talking about their high class stuff) and it's almost always like this: you get what you pay for. I have played a Peavey cab briefly, and for the price it sounded right. Sometimes you got a lucky strike with a cheap cab that sounds like stuff three times as costly (like for instance Acme, although I never played one), but I think that's the exception to the rule.

14. Very well put, Joris. That's exactly what I was trying to say. I didn't mean to compare Peavey to Eden, though I think some people would.. using the argument "Eden costs three times more but doesn't sound three times better."

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey has definitely had some hits and misses!
    I own a TNT 130 combo, still use it at church, I have had it for 20+ years and it's still going, it does have a short in the power cord but that is all.. granted, it doesn't sound as good or punchy as my SWR Basic Black, but it cost $399 and my SWR cost $699.. the Black Widow speakers are another great value, if you ever buy a cabinet or a combo, get this upgrade, these speakers are the best 15" value on the market, I can get as much high end on my TNT as I can on my SWR combo with a piezo tweeter..

I also own a Foundation bass, it looked great when it was new, it still sounds great, but the wood has not aged well and the opaque red finish is crackling in the pattern of the grain of the cheap wood underneath..

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

16. My first bass amp was a Peavey. It was a 300 watt combo. I can't remember the model name. It was a decent amp but I decided to sell it and buy Carvin 4x10 and 1x18 and rack w/ADA preamp and a Carvin power amp. I should have kept the Peavey.

Peavey isn't the best sounding stuff but some of them do sound good and you can get some killer deals on them used because of their low resale value. Its great for people on a tight budget, especially beginner-novice players.

------------------
    Ciao
    Mike

17. Peavey seems to be extreamly inconsistant, which makes them hard to trust. I can get a really nice tone through my MINX 110. If it was 10 times louder, it would be a great amp. It is a great amp for low volume practicing, but too small for gigging (30 watts). Before I got my SWR Redhead, I would borrow a friends amp for church which was a Peavey (i don't know what model) with a 1x15 and it sounded like crap. If you turned it up loud enough to hear it, it sounded like it was farting. Maybe they just make good monitors and practice amps? Idunno. If you need a good practice amp, you cant go wrong with the MINX.

------------------
    ThePez

18. It seems that most of the people who dislike Peavy are basing their opinion on one bad experience ( although one bad experience can be more than enough ).

Also you have to look at different pricing in different parts of the world. Here in Australia, you pretty much have to hock a kidney to get anything decent brand new, and the used prices aren't much better. In that situation, Peavy makes a lot of sense.

19. I think the statement, "You get what you paid for," is the real bottom line here.

I used a Peavey Megabass head with a 1820 cabinet (1x18,2x10) for years and found it to be real reliable. Back when I bought the stuff, in the mid to late 80's, Peavey was known for their relibility and bang for the buck but were considered mainly a budget brand. I was on a budget so it was a good match. I now own and Eden setup with an Aguilar preamp and there really is no comparison but I obviously had more $$ to work with.

I've heard recently that Peavey's reliability has been a little spotty and that's too bad because that used to be their calling card.

I find it interesting that Peavey is trying to hit the upper end market with stuff like the Cirrus Bass and the Wolfgang guitar. It will be interesting to see if they can shed that 'budget' image. I think with the exception of Fender, it would be hard to accomodate both parts of the market and be successful. I'm not knocking either the Cirrus or the Wolfgang but I know I would have to overcome some preconceived notions as to what Peavey is all about in order to purchase one.

"Boy, this is a real nice bass but it says Peavey on the headstock!!"

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    As far as the Cirrus goes, the image is shed. Some of the reasons for disliking an entire brand, like a 50w bass amp being used live and crapping out, are kind of amusing. There's rarely any mention of the condition of the equipment...I find that curious. I have tried Epifani, SWR,Ampeg,Eden, you-name-it, I've-probably-tried-it equipment that was abused and each usually sounded like crap. Does that mean these manufacturers make crap?...not in my book. It's like a car that never gets serviced breaking down and the owner blaming the car. Pretty silly.

I've played a bunch of Peavey stuff, owned a few amps and even bought one of their first basses. I have never had one single solitary problem with any of it, not once. Of course I wasn't trying to play live with a practice amp or leaving my gear outside subject to temperature extremes because I didn't "feel" like bringing it in or other such stuff. Take care of the equipment and it will usually take care of you. That's not to say there's no such thing as a factory defect but I don't think it's as common as some would like to believe. The only gripe I have is with the weight of some amps and speakers...when I was younger it wasn't as much of an issue [​IMG]

Crap is a self fulfilling prophecy. If you think you have crap and treat it like crap eventually it will be crap.