1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

And what's your destination, please?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SparkyLB, Nov 9, 2018.

1. SparkyLB

SparkyLB

Jun 6, 2018
    As I'm sure is the case with more than a few of us, music takes me places.
    A few examples connected to mental images follow. I would LOVE if you had similar tonal/cerebral connections, and if you shared it/them.

Here are mine:
    The piano in Imagine, by John Lennon always comes to me from across a foggy lake.

The guitar "solo" (more like an extended fill) in I Want You, by The Beatles, (the Jazz verse) always sounds to me as if it's played in a smoke-filled night club with individual dinner tables and folks wearing leisurely attire.

The first few bars of Have A Cigar by Floyd (everything before the vocals) I hear from a leather-backed chair in an old, established office of a law firm. Maybe that's more contextual.

Anyone have any similar connections? I'd be pleased to hear the places music takes you to.

Tom Bomb and S-Bigbottom like this.
  2. This is why I do not like music videos.
    I see things within songs but after watching its official video it usually results in...:bored:

murphy, SparkyLB, FilterFunk and 2 others like this.
  3. So you're saying TV has spoiled radio for you? :unsure:

If I watch music videos my mind can't go to as many places.
    So I substitute food for imagination. I start to gain weight.
    The waste is a terrible thing to mind.:(

But just hearing a song does let me go to places that may or may not exist.
    For instance, Strawberry Fields... takes me there because I let them.

I tend to associate songs with people more than I do with places.
    Often with no rational connection between the two.
    But sometimes I hear a song that was popular while on a road trip and it puts me back in the car traveling that lonely highway at night. Either that or it was a flashback of a NO-DOZE overdose.

Fun to think about. Thanks OP for starting the thread.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    murphy, SparkyLB and S-Bigbottom like this.
  4. Christine's Tune (aka Devil In Disguise) by the Flying Burrito Brothers always takes me really fast down a long road, like Route 54 between Dalhart TX and the NM border.

Twenty Flight Rock by Eddie Cochran takes me up sixty flights of stairs, IIRC.

Interzone by Joy Division takes me racing around freeways and subdivisions at night.

Most of the newer music I listen to is instrumental, and a lot of it just takes me into space. Altus usually takes me to a forest, someplace. Hammock takes me places, but nothing I could really describe.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  5. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    The first time in my memory when anything like this ever happened to me was with an album called tangram. My best friend at the time — we'd just left school — was obsessed with music, especially off kilter stuff like that. I distinctly remember, in his bedroom, closing my eyes and soon becoming overwhelmed by imagery. Not the kind that evokes 'things' but 'space' and 'situation' in flux, being propelled forward somehow, on a wave or inside a tunnel or a pipe, or through the night sky, out into the abstract unknown, wherever the mind wandered. That was novel. No drugs involved. None. Only music.

Most music takes me into my head. Some, which I gravitate towards, lets me escape and just imagine. I tend to embrace it all, whenever I can, that which I love. I guess it's more heard than seen and those 'images' are purely musical, intellectualized, most of the time. Just as real as anything visual. Some music puts me in a stinky old work-van, with an am radio blaring, holding an unhealthily hot cream cheese sandwich and an instant coffee from a thermos, in a dodgy black plastic lid, wishing for all the world that I was anywhere else but there.

These images abound, along with all the rest, good, bad and indifferent. I try not to pay them too much heed, but just let them all kaleidoscope into the haze. They're all too real anyway, vivid, remarkably robust, colorful. So there's no harm I guess in having a little fun with them, every once in a while :)

S-Bigbottom and SparkyLB like this.
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    The opening riff of 'Nobody Said It Was Easy' from The Four Horsemen puts me in an auto shop garage with the smell of motor oil thick in the air as me and some buddies stand around a half restored '71 Mustang, debating how we want the exhaust to sound.
    Listening to 'Baby's On Fire' from Sammy Hagar takes me right back to high school in 1988 as we cruised around downtown Olympia on a warm summer evening in my '75 Ford 4x4 truck, four on the floor. I can smell the salty air from the tide being out, then the smell of fried dough as we circle the loop and drive by Especially Yogurt where everyone would stop at some point and get frozen yogurt in the big waffle cones. Once inside, the smell of waffle cones mixed in with the smell of the Obsession perfume the cute girls would have on and the Stetson or Gendarme cologne the guys trying to impress them had on. There'd be some Bell Biv Devoe or maybe a Banarama tune playing in the background, but the sound of youth and potential overshot it.

-Mike

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. Bob Seeger's Night Moves instantly takes me back to my senior year of high school. Pulling an all nighter putting an engine in a friend's Mustang.
    Aerosmith's Dream On and Cliff Richards Devil Woman takes me back to auto shop the summer between my junior and senior years of high school.
    Wings Beware My Love takes me back to my bedroom my junior year of high school when I would listen to it with headphones as I went to sleep.
    Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons ( several songs) take me back to being about 3 and riding in my dad's car.

Lots more if I think about it.

Russ

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. SparkyLB

SparkyLB

Jun 6, 2018
    Run Away Train by Soul Asylum is NOT about children taken from parents! But I guess it is since the producers at MTV (remember when they played videos?) got their hands on it.

I feel ya.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  9. SparkyLB

SparkyLB

Jun 6, 2018
    Nice. Your post reminded me that REMs White Tornado always reminded me of the song that John Travolta and Uma Thurman SHOULD have danced the twist to in Pulp Fiction.

PWRL likes this.
  10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Boston’s first studio album takes me on an imaginary road trip to Cape Cod. With a good buddy and two guitars, we play a summer’s worth of patio gigs while on the trip.

S-Bigbottom and SparkyLB like this.
  11. SparkyLB

SparkyLB

Jun 6, 2018
    That's what I'm talkin' about.

12. SparkyLB

SparkyLB

Jun 6, 2018
    And another, Demolition Man has me absolutely screamin' down the road in some Mad Max vehicle dodging bullets and avoiding pedestrians. If it were a movie, flashing on the screen there would be intermittent 1/4 second long shots of arbitrary gore, like in Natural Born Killers.

DirtDog likes this.
  13. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Eagles Greatest Hits moves me straight back to my undergrad years in Tucson...palm trees and cacti, open carry handguns, skies so pale they were nearly white, and the blackest night skies with stars that looked hard. Glen Frey absolutely knew the desert.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  14. Can't say that I do. What you experience sounds like ramped up synesthesia.

15. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    When I hear "Ride of the Valkyries," I see a big sailing ship being tossed by huge waves in a violent storm, and the crew trying frantically to keep the ship afloat.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  16. That is what I see with this one.
    They do not make it. :(

FilterFunk likes this.
  17. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Van Halen's Panama puts me driving across the desert at sundown...feeling the dry heat flowing through the car with the windows down. (The spoken part of that song is awesome).

Diary of a Madman puts me in a dark and dank castle in the 1500s... Haunting chords, somber lyrics and melody, and the overall feel sets the mood instantly. I can picture the torches at the drawbridge.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  18. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Stairway to Heaven always reminds me of being a high school wrestler, running steps after practice, and thinking about a girl who got my attention but probably was never aware of me at all. Thinking about her made me work even harder, and by proxy, so did the song. Funny how that is.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  19. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown

Feb 16, 2011
    While i never got a lot of mental imagery from music, it does tend to push emotional buttons from time to time. Most all music moves me to some degree, some more (much more) than others, but it’s at a more basic level than some mini move running in my minds eye. I’d listen to hard loud no apologies go to hell R&R to pump up for going people hunting, and blues to decompress after. When i listen to hillbilly music i am at once sad and hopeful. Sad when i think of how hard life must have been to inspire that music, but also hopeful that we can continue to build on the progress that propelled us away from those hard times.
    But what i get from listening to music pales when compared to what i get from making music with others. Even when it’s limping along it’s still nourishment for my soul, and when it’s hitting on all cylinders and everyone playing is of one mind and body, that’s when you look down and see your feet are a few inches off the floor and you realize where the true magic in this world comes from.

S-Bigbottom likes this.