And why should it go smoothly?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products actually has, till this point. the recording of our cd went well, we raised the money to have it pressed, got everything in on time.... then...

as soon as all our artwork went in to the pressing place, heyday records tells us they decided they want to have us as one of their bands and sign us. we've been sort of working with them for about year now so it's not out of the blue, just not so great timing on their part. we stop the presses so we can redo the artwork with their logo and barcode on it. no problem, except we're told we may not have the cds in time for our cd release party, this coming wednesday. we're willing to take the gamble. we call this week to see how things are going. guy says we may actually have them on time. we tell him we'll come to pick them up to save 2 days delivery time.

yesterday, 6 days before ETA, randy (my guitarist) tells me he has a bunch of boxes sitting on his porch. :eek: he excitedly runs in the house, opens one up and lo and behold - it's our premature baby. 1000 of them in fact, but guess what... there's no heyday logo, nor their barcode.

they claim that's what we "okayed" before going to print, which we did, but then CLEARLY changed. i know that he knows that i know that is a xxxxup - but he ain't admitting to it too quickly. we called immediately, told him we'd call him back after thoroughly investigating all people who had a hand in the artwork change and then get back to them. they were closed for the day when we called back. i have to call him this afternoon.

these cds are pretty much useless to us now regarding our deal with heyday. to be continued....

i think i'm developing and ulcer.
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Ill have one, Ill be able to tell my grandkids that I've got one of The Nerve's infamous "no HayDay logo" CD's.

Rare and collectible, dont you know :)
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I don't know about the logo, but I'm sure you can get bar code stickers that will work just fine. Lots of cds come w/ bar code stickers on the outside of the cellophane wrapper.

I'm not sure how it works with small labels, but why is the band paying for and dealing with the pressing people anyway? Isn't that the label's job? Exactly what is their job?

It'll work out Joe, good luck! :bassist:
  4. Lecture them. Make them feel stupid. :)
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i hear you

it sucks when you work on something so hard and some jerkoff messes something up

good luck
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I second the sticker idea.

And yes it is the label's job but I get the feeling the band instigated all of this before they signed their deal.

Joe you'll get over this hurdle and ther will be another one right behind it. The "I'm getting an ulcer" coment worries me a little.I have lots of memories of my time being signed to a label and most of them involve obstacles, slaps in the face, and gut wrenching stress. My advice is deal with that now. Find a way, a substance-free way, to ride the stress wave rather than let it swamp you.

PS:- congratulations on the deal.
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Thats a cool story. Perhaps you will need these extra cds when the next set sells out :D
  8. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    thanks for the input. update... i'll try and keep it short.

1st - we paid for the recording and manufacturing of the cds therefore the deal we have with heyday is reflecting that. they're being more than cool with us and it's clear that they're really a label that wants to help bands out. don't want to get into too many details but we're really happy with the agreement we've got. they're giving us a lot of support right now, and not asking much at all monitarily. they want to see what we can do with them and they with us.

the cds. the guy at the cd place knows what we agreed upon and admits it. the cds were supposed to have the heyday logo on them. he says we're also somewhat responsible that they were duped without it because our artist didn't email them them telling them she had loaded the new artwork onto their ftp server. they however never told us we had to email them and basically he's trying to wiggle out of his mistake. he said he'd make good by put stickers on all 1000 of them and rewrapping them. I agreed, then talked to heyday - and they said they wouldn't sent them through their distributor with stickers. he (heyday guy) made some suggestions i didn't like... that we should have the guy just send us new inserts so we can change them and then re-shrinkwrap them ourselves. i'm trying to get the cd place to fix half of them, and we'll eat the rest - sell them at gigs and stuff - like here, on talkbass. :) he told me to call him again on monday after he gets details on what will be involved to replace the tray card and reassemble everything. i'm really going to do my best to put it in god's hands.

as for the ulcer and the stress thing... i agree. i really do have to chill out. this past week has almost put me over the edge. i can't even begin to tell you how much work we've been doing, plus my dayjob, plus fighting with my partner in this whole thing, getting things together for the release party. i've had a pain in my left shoulder all week also, and i've been thinking i'm giving myself a heart attack with the stress... i ain't exactly the 19 year old I act as if I am. I gotta chill. i'm taking some of my own past advice in posts here on that. doing my best to do the right thing. thanks guys for the concern.
  9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just set up the page if you'd still like to buy one. Thanks.