Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AND YET ANOTHER ONE!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, May 27, 2005.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    THATS RIGHT KIDS!!!

it happens every few years and I almost though it wouldn’t happen this year... but the joy on my face when they FOUND THEM!!! what a joy...

YES ladies and gentlemen... they found yet another Japanese soldier who thought ww2 was not over...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4585287.stm

I am almost going to be sad when they will stop finding them... i think the one 3 years ago was the best because they had family members and actually general of ww2 fly over tell him war was over and he thought that they all were traitors to Japan...

I LOVE THOSE GUYS!

Cheers

2. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    how stupid do people have to be to not realize that an ATOM BOMB was dropped and stopped the war?

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    They found two of them... Apparently they were in the Phillipines.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Dude.. the atom bomb was the beginning of the end... Surrender happened later... Ok so technically, Midway was the beginning of the end, but you get my drift.

If they heard the explosion in the Phillipines, or saw the light, etc, I doubt they knew what it was...

Like the articles says, likely these guys knew the war was over, but decided to not turn themselves in for their own reasons...

5. Ha , thats nothing, we still have people here in MS that think the civil war is still going on!

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I thought south won? no?

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    It's not a matter of stupidity. It's a combination of the mindset of the Japanese soldiers of the time and the fact that war tends to do wonky things to communication lines.

You don't survive in the jungle for several decades if you're stupid.

8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    That's nuts.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, they're pretty stupid. I bet if they were members of TB they'd probably pay to have a picture by their name or something.

brad cook

10. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Yeah... pretty much... why pay when you can sleep with any mod and get pic by your name for free:/

Cheers

11. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I would think if you didn't see any of the enemy for say 5 or 10 years, you might consider at least STARTING to walk home or something.

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Thats the thing... they did... 1st Korea then Vietnam and we fly over that area all the time... our ship go by... etc :)

13. I wouldn't blame him, I bet it's pretty difficult to get those lazy paper boys to deliver the daily news to the mountains...

Mike

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Couldn't the guy like check the Drudge report or something! :p If he just logged in one day on his laptop.........

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Attached Files:

16. Weren't Lt. Onoda and his partner still carrying out acts of sabotage against locals until his partner got killed?

We look at this as complete and total Westerners. None of us have the mindset of disemboweling ourselves to spare our families the dishonor of a self determined failure.

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    How precisely does one WALK from The Philipines to Japan...seeing as both are ISLANDS.

Also living in the jugle for 50 years probably wakes one a little whacked anyhow, resulting in less than "normal" sets of judgement calls.

18. Call me nutty, but I think a few months in the 'hoon-gla' would alter my perception of reality...

19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
  20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    sometimes i think TB is still majorily visited by little teenage brats that whine about their lives too much and piss everyone off by saying stupid crap that makes no sense.

silly me...