1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

And yet another Squier VM fretless Jazz thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Neener, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    What the heck, I jumped on the Squier bandwagon. :rolleyes:

Two hundred seventy dollars out the door with a gig bag thrown in at GC. How can you pass that up? I know I couldn't.

This was the better of the few that they had in stock and it was basically un-playable at the store. The string height was so high that my dog could have walked under them. It was either assembled at 5:00pm on a Friday or whoever set it up needs a new profession. Anyhow, after about 15 minutes of tightening and adjusting everything, she seems to be a really decent bass.

I put flats on it before I even plugged it into my amp, it came with roundwounds on it.

Squier009.

Squier006.

Already started modding it too, although I'm only doing cosmetic mods for now. We're going old school with a ashtray and neck pickup cover that are on their way. The Fender Jazz pickguard that I had needed a little filing here and there before it fit, especially around the neck. I haven't decided yet about the pickups and "pre-amp" yet, the stock hardware just may be fine for what I play. We'll see.

Squier011.

Ok, enough with the eyecandy.

Having never played a fretless I learned in a hurry that I'm not as good a player as I thought. :scowl: This whole intonation thing is nuts. :help:

I have a American Deluxe Jazz 5 stringer and it's pretty much apples and oranges as far as comparing them to each other. Actually the Squier isn't in the same ballpark but that probably wasn't the intent of a $270 bass to begin with. On the other side of the coin though, this level of quality for the money is unbeatable in my opinion. How can you pass it up? :)

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    nice bass..

I am loving my fretless. I went unlined and it was crazy at first but I found a couple tutorials for intonation and setup on Gary Willis website that helped a ton. Now Im cruising on it with easier songs. Some of the hard stuff well it doesnt sound to pretty yet.. LOL

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

3. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    imo these basses look like pure sex without the pg