Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

and you all thought Micro$oft was bad....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  2. Bliss, it wouldn't play for me.

Mike :confused:

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Played for me....

...and boy, if it's true, a lotta people are gettin' PLAYED!

:mad:

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No big surprise... love the Apple product, hate the company. I've been sodomized (and my company worse so) courtesy of Apple support policies. I still like the products though, and accept this as the cost of using the computer I like...

:(

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    In a nutshell:

If you buy an iPod, the rechargeable battery will eventually stop taking a charge. When this happens, it is not a user-replaceable item. You will have to send it back to Apple to be replaced. The cost of the replacement battery is $225, plus shipping, plus the service charge.

How much is a new iPod???

:meh:

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Prices for a new iPod according to Amazon.com:
    10GB = $299.01
    20GB = $399.00
    30GB = $399.99

-Mike

7. :eek:

wow thats truly shocking. wonder what apples saying bout it.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    the truth: the lithium ion battery that the iPod uses

provides 1000 full charges

if you used the thing 8 hours a day*, and then have to charge it from empty each day, It would take over 3 years to become unusable.

and even then, apple has a replacement program, that costs $99 if I remember correctly, to replace your pod.

The 18 month thing is based on one party's bad experience, most likely with a 1st generation pod.

:rolleyes:

*I have yet to use mine for more than 2 hours in a day, my average is FAR less than that, 8 hours+ is the estimated battery life, which would do you over for MOST plane rides.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
  10. Oh,c'mon WR...accept it,Apple sucks.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Let's just face it, EVERY large company is bad. It's only a matter of how well they hide it, and how quick they are to react when their "dirty little secrets" are exposed. And how severe the damage done to the customer became in the process.

In the words of Stanley Motss: "This is nothing! This is nothing!"

12. sorry, this just felt appropriate :D

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That is funny. Good to know that it's only $99 to replace a freakin' battery these days. That makes it a lot better. Yeah. ;)

14. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    It's not like iPods are the only thing that use batteries that cost a bit to replace. I had to pay 60 bucks for a new battery for my five-six year old JVC camcorder. A $99 replacement after more than three years sounds pretty reasonable to me. Or just go with a third party battery.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's also not like iPods are the only devices using Lithium ion batteries.

which are finite in nature.

No mp3 player will last forever.

16. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Beat me to it. This problem applies to any device that uses a Lithium ion batteries. Bring on the fuel cells I say.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Oct02/cantilever.ws.html

or how about THAT?

It's a tiny atomic battery that can provide a small amount of energy for over 100 years, while the power ouput is VERY low, I'm sure it may find some use in watches and stuff.

supposing it did eventually land in an mp3 player I'll bet people will complain when they only get 80 years of life in their iPod and blame apple :rolleyes:

18. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The philips HDD100 is about a squillion times better than the iPod in every respect.

19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    And Micro$oft IS bad!

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yes, making money, capitalism and entrepeneurship are all evil. Now let us all form a commune and promote the gospel of poverty. Fight "the man."

brad cook