Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

And your favorite NAMM bass is?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tumbao, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Post your (only one) favorite 2005 NAMM bass.

2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I think Adrian Garcia's new Nordy does it for me...

[​IMG]

I wasn't liking the top in the progress pics, but the finished product is incredible.

3. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    I'm sorry, but it's a tie!!! The F bass buckeye top and Adrian's Nordie. Both in a class by themselves. I'm now ordering an F bass, and my future Nordie, which won't be finished til like November, is now going to be a 6 instead of a 5. I must say, I agree about the top on Adrian's bass...in person it is so stunning I can't believe it. And the LEDs are just a need-to-have now.

4. Lots of great basses at NAMM, but if I had to choose one to highlight, it'd be the semihollow fretless 5 by Jon Maghini of M Bass. Check it out:
    http://www.mbasses.com/Gallery/shb-1/index.html

Big ups to Knuckle basses for their cool superlow instruments that just sounded dope!

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    That blue Rickenbacker is a right looker, makes me want a Rickenbacker pretty badly.

6. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Well, I liked this Benavente so much it followed me home! :smug: :cool:
    [​IMG]

Very, very impressed with Jerzy Drozd as well - that burl maple 5 he had (headed to BassNW) is amazing. Jens Ritter, Carey Nordstrand, George Furlanetto, Fodera... they were ALL amazing! Truely sensory overload.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    [​IMG]

This beautiful streamer.

8. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    The buckeye fretless behind hippiesandwich's semi-hollow holly... But only because it's mine!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

9. RedVampyre

RedVampyre

Jan 10, 2005
    Alabama, USA
    That is one beautiful bass!

10. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I hate Warwicks but I really like that one.

My vote goes for the Ritter 7 with Adrian's Nordie in a close second. I also like the Adler 12 if for nothing else, Shock and Awe. B Easy

Myron

11. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    I love that holly benavente! How does it sound? I may be more confused than normal- wasn't that Brian's bass? Did you talk him out of it, or is there a second one?
    I thought the white F bass was very cool too.

12. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    I just spent an hour with it and it sounds KILLER. It has a smooth, elegant sound to match its looks - one of the best finger style tones I've ever heard. Put it in single coil mode and it can get nasty too. I'll get some pics of the back and more of the details, this bass is really quite special. It was Brian's, but... lets just say he left his mark on it before he gave it to me :rollno: :p.

The white F-bass was awesome as was the trans white Fodera.

13. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    This one is still tops on my list :)

[​IMG]

14. Bzzzzt. No soup for you. That's from NAMM 2002! :D

- Dave

15. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Gaahh! No one tells me these things.

16. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    [​IMG]

Easily my favorite bass of the show. The Brubakers were hot too - especially in Brad's hands!

17. Actually, the thread title says nothing about the year so I guess you're okay. :D

That's from my NAMM 2002 gallery at:
    http://www.unpronounceable.com/images/namm/

- Dave

18. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll have to go with the Stealth Bongo:
    [​IMG]

19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, maybe this is going against the grain (yuk), but I didn't hear anything especially exciting at NAMM this year. Lost of "cosmetically" cool stuff, like the buckeye and so on, but nothing that perked my ear. And, the problem with those darn cosmetic basses, is that by the time you finally get to playing them (ie between the time they get from the show floor to your lap), your expectations are so inflated that even if the bass is completely perfect, it'll probably be a letdown.

Lately, based on what I've heard, I'm more inclined to go the other way. Keep me away from all these cosmetically egregious basses. Give me a simple slab of ash and a nice maple neck. Maybe it's another example of the old adage, "if it seems simple, there's probably less to go wrong" (a corollary of Murphy's first law, "Simpler is Better"). Lately I've had a lot better luck with simpler basses. In fact, I'm coming to the conclusion that all that cosmetic garbage does absolutely nothing, for anyone except the person buying the instrument. And his close friends. And up here on TB. :D