1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anders Jormin

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Thieske91, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Thieske91

Thieske91

Feb 20, 2012
  2. That guy is unbelievable. His playing is pretty faultless. He has a new album on ECM coming that I REALLY want to hear. That trio is great. I saw them with Billy Hart on drums it was amazing.

3. Thieske91

Thieske91

Feb 20, 2012
    Ah man. I've got to check out that record. When is it released?

4. His solo album "Alone" is really amazing. I think it is probably my favorite solo bass recording. He has an excellent sense of melody, beautiful sound, great time, technique. In addition to his work with Stenson, he was Charles Lloyd's quartet for several years and many good records ("Canto" stands out in my mind). He is also on some freer records with Marilyn Crispell and Mats Gustaffson. Excited to hear his new ECM disc.

5. Alone is incredible. It is not my favorite bass solo album, but it is my favorite that sticks to pitch and melody. He is a total master.
    My favorite solo album is still Peter Kowald's "Was Da Ist".

6. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    what Mats Gustafsson album is he on? I'd be very excited to hear that. I love Anders Jormin's playing, but I often find the contexts he plays in less interesting than him. That Crispell album is hard to find too, been looking for it, seems to be out of print

7. It's actually more of a collaborative record with Ander's brother Christian Jormin on drums and percussion. The disc is called "Opus Apus" and is on LJ Records (a Swedish company?). I bought this and the Crispell one many years ago, so I'm not sure if there are in print or not. The Crispell one is more successful that the disc with Gustafsson. Haven't listened to either in a while but my memory is the Gustafsson is not a good match for the group. He's a little limited in what he can do. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy him in other contexts but he really isn't well equipped for this type of session (read - not a euro-free thing).

8. Both of those are great, there is a Stenson trio on a Japanese label called "Very Early" all the ECMs are great, too, but this one is more like their live sets.

9. Reviving an old thread, but this just came up on my YouTube feed today. Pretty darn stunning I must say. Let the Anders Jormin love resume.

10. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Inspirational!

11. I think hindsight can tell us that Mats is far more limited in what he can do with pitch - all the song based stuff he has tried in recent years hasn't worked well for him at all. While Jormin does stick to pitch, another saxophonist like Evan Parker or John Butcher could have connected the dots a lot better. This new solo video is fantastic.

12. Pablojmz

Pablojmz

Mar 12, 2021
    Bogota, Colombia
    I saw Gustafsson with Christof Kurzmann the first week of march 2020. They did some pieces that had some lyrical interludes. Are you talking about that Damon?

13. He was really focused on free improvisation in the '90s and incredible at moving textures around - still is. There were a lot of bad "free jazz" versions of rock covers and trying to be an indie rock star since the early 2000s that just didn't go well.
    Still, we should remember a criticism isn't a death sentence. I have a ton of his his work and continue to buy it when he does serious work.

This all the sort of thing I probably shouldn't have made public - but, I feel like it is an important response to the idea (that I may have agreed with back then) that Jormin was the one with limitations. I DO have that CD ready to into the CD player in the morning!
    It is here:

14. The full video can be interesting too:

15. I have it on now! It is quite a nice album, I feel like everyone finds a good place to meet. For me the interaction is there, Anders does some great textural work arco, he has an interesting arco concept where he uses very little rosin and it is mostly flautando or ponticello.
    The only thing that isn't there is the quick turn over of textures that only Mats and a few other can do anyway, I feel like that is a fair trade for the melodic integrity Anders brings. So it is a beautiful album with great playing by all.

Here is an example of prime Mats:

VictorW126 likes this.
  16. LFE LIFE

LFE LIFE

Mar 2, 2019
    Here is the original Tune that he is improvising over:

Reiska and Sean Riddle like this.
  17. I listened to that recording last night and am intrigued to check out the whole album. To me it was a lesson in making contrasts work and reminded me of a masterclass I took once with Art Lande. Art was getting on this one group that was playing for mimicking each other, so he had them play another piece but this time told each musician to play what wasn't there (i.e someone plays texturally while someone else plays more rhythmically) in the music and stick to their guns. I don't know too much about Christian Jormin's playing, but Mats Gustafsson and Anders Jormin negotiate their stylistic differences pretty well, minus what you noted about Gustafsson's textural shifts. Overall a pretty good lesson in that "playing what isn't there" idea this reminded me of.

damonsmith likes this.
  18. Yeah, I totally agree. Reggie Workman talks about the importance of bringing something to beach besides sand. I guess at this point, I would also argue that Jormin is pretty engaged with timbre and texture as that video you posted shows. I met him once, at the show the Bobo Stenson show I mention earlier in the thread.
    There is also a pretty incredible Tomasz Stanko Quartet he was in with Tony Oxley (and Bobo Stenson!).

There are two ECM CDs and one on another label. The music was mainly slow and beautiful with incredible textures by Oxley.

oliebrice likes this.
  19. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    I love that band, especially the album 'Matka Joanna'. Jormin is also on the magical Stanko album 'from the green hill' - hugely recommended

damonsmith likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021