Andreas Eastman 305 Bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by sonen, Nov 8, 2005.

1. sonen

Aug 29, 2005
    Has anyone had any experience with this bass? I'm about to purchase my first upright and have narrowed it down to 2 local basses, the Andreas Eastman 305 3/4 (fully carved used) or a Johannes Kohr K64 7/8 (hybrid new) The Eastman is $600 more. I have read on this board that sometimes it is better to buy a "high-end" hybrid as opposed to a low end carved. Is the Eastman considered "low end"? I should have a chance to play the Eastman in the next few days and hopefully that will be the deciding factor. In the mean time I would appreciate any and all advice or comment on either bass.

Thanks in advance,
  2. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Are you able to try both basses?

If so you should, and go with the bass that has the best set-up and sound for what you are looking for.

Good Luck
  3. Comrade Lewis

Comrade Lewis Guest

Jun 20, 2004
    Athens, Ga
    i have played on 2 eastman sb305's and i own an eastman sb605. from what ive played and heard eastman basses are quite good sounding. Just a heads up though, you might want to check to see if the sound post is in correctly and if the neck was put on straight. My bass's neck is at a very slight degree. I had to get my bridge moved, now that ive had a nice set up it plays quite easily and sounds wonderful. If i were you i would not buy any hybrid. It is better to have a carved bass than a laminate or partial laminate.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Not neccessarily. I have played some Hybrid instruments that blow away low priced carved. I have played a couple decent Eastman instruments though. Let your ears decide.
  5. sonen

Aug 29, 2005
    Thanks for the advice guys!!! So is the Eastman 305 considered to be a "low end" carved bass?