Andreas Eastman Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Dragevitzky, Dec 3, 2002.

1. I'm a very dedicted musicians with plans to major in performing arts with the Double Bass (notice I capitalize). I have had a Professional Orchestral Bassist (LA Phil). He owns a 300 year old italian bass that has the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. The problem is that it is worth $60,000 and being a freshman in college, I don't have that kind of money.

I've been doing lots of researching since I've been playing for the past life-time it seems. As far as basses under $5000. I haven't found many basses with the warm and soothing tone quality I'm looking for. The bass I have now is a 50 year old Carved German bass that has a really pretty sound considering it's valued at only $2000. But I'm trying to look for a bass that would be acceptable in orchestral and solo playing in a more practical price range, although I plan to keep trading up until I finally get a Farari of bass.

The main point...the Andreas Eastman basses sound good in thier description and the company is known for producing high quality instruments. I've never been able to play one but at $4000, HAS ANYONE EVER PLAYED ONE and feel it's a value? One store I'm looking into sells them for about that price with professional setup. Specifically I'm talking about the 305 model. Infact I have an inside offer to purchase an Andreas Eastman 305 Bass for just under $3000 with pro setup. Is that a good deal? Here is a link with a pic and description right from the company:
  2. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    here is now the answer you will get also get from ed and others...

sound has nothing to do with the price tag on the instrument!
    the only thing that matters is how the bass sounds to you!
    and not just the sound from standing right behind...but also the sound from 10ft in front of your bass when sombody else is playing!

so you say you like the sound of your bass...but´s only valued for 2000,- is that value your only problem...or is there something you don´t like in terms of sound on your bass....
    have you tried other strings? (hey they can change the whole world)
    maybe the setup has to be corrected...
    there´s so much you can do before selling a bass... :(

rgds sebastian
  3. I do agree that what is important is the sound. My bass has a nice tone but is not as resonant as I would like it to be. The real reason I want a new one is because mine has a number of things that need to be repaired. I'll list them:

1. Soundpost has fallen and I fixed it to the best of my ability without special tools.
    2. Bridge needs to be replaced.
    3. Nut has been worn all the way to the fingerboard (currently using PAPER to set tension)
    4. Bass has been abused by a previous owner so there are numerous scars and scratches
    5. Numerous unprofessionally sealed cracks (very obvious)
    6. Cracks along F-holes which are causing one side of the top to collapse (needs readjustment every 2 weeks or so)
    7. Entire bottom half of the seem of the top is cracked apart (70% of the entire top to be precise and the bottom half is flatening)

I have seen nice work done to fix some really bad basses but the top is so warped and cracked it seems that I will be without a bass for a long time if I have it repaired. I assume that the cost to repair the bass will be the difference between what I have and the price of the new one.

The Andreas Eastman is made of higher quality woods and the value hasn't droped it a LONG while. If I by it at a VERY discounted price (I have connections, 30-50% off), I can sell it in a short while in mint condition and make atleast $1000, then buy an even better bass.

But I really do like the tone quality in my bass but have no idea have much repairing would be along with a nice refinishing job to remove all scars and make it look as beautiful as when it was first made. I'm just not comfortable with having it away from me for a long time while it was being repaired. How much do you think it will cost to do all the repairs?
  4. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    huch that´s sad to hear that such a bass was so abused...
    ok that´s now something for the luthiers here

but i think it will cost you allot...
    so a nice new bass would be there for the money...
    if you can sell yours for a reasonable price...

but there´s also the sentimental case...hey you played it some time...and maybe it´s your first db...and so on ....

rgds sebastian
  5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Your romantic conquests are not of interest here.
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    On the other hand, the board has been a bit slow lately. Perhaps we need to allow this kind of thing every so often in order to help bring in the "under 30" demographic and the billions in advertising revenue they represent.
    Blackjac97 likes this.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe you could write a new article to bring in the crowds ; "Passion between the Bass Chairs" - a gripping story of the hidden depths of affection running like a surging current beneath the calm icy surface of the "cruise ship" that is the modern-day symphony orchestra!

It's starting to sound like "Titanic" already! ;)
  8. Maybe he could tell us what kind of rosin he used.
  9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Go get an estimate for the repairs. Go play one of those Kodak basses. Don't be so emotional about it.

Who wants a shiny bass? It's like showing up to the first day of school with brand new tennis shoes. We used to stop on the way to class and scuff them up a bit on purpose just so it wouldn't look like our mothers dressed us.
  10. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    thats a word!!!

cheers for that
  11. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    except i don't think i want to drag my shiny new bass through the gravel just so it looks like i bought it last year. :)
  12. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny

:confused: Oh really, Ed?
  13. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sorry, Ed, gotta tease you now that you're on the block:

14. Actually, I think all of the Samuel and Andreas Eastmans are Chinese

The 3 top models are
    Ivan Dunov 401 - east euro,

Rudolph Doetsch 701 - German

Wilhelm Klier - 702

I've had some dealers recommend them in the 3k range but there are many other options
    (although most all of them are factory)

15. jmpiwonka

Jun 11, 2002
    personally i would first check on getting the german carved you have fixed, the only german carved i have heard is my teachers bass and it sounds really good to me, but i play a beat up laminated bass so i don't really have much to compare it with, it's five string too with a flat b....not originally that way though.
    probably won't cost as much as a new one, but who knows until you have a luthier look at it, maybe you could post some pics, i'd like to see it.
    old worn out looking basses are really the best looking instrumentsIMHO.
  16. I think the board has really let you down on this one.
    You are a college freshman and you want a new bass. You obviously need our support in rationalizing buying a new bass. Not the old "be responsible and fix up your bass" wrap.
    Even if you can fix up yours for a grand, imagine what awfull things you might spend the other $2000 already burning a hole in your pocket.
    You might even blow it on books! (not likely since you are a music major but who knows....)
    Which brings me to the real potential waste here. You wanna be a music major? You're worried about how to spend 3k and you're about blow 50.
    So ends the "Car Talk-esque" part of the post.....
    Seriously, I would look around and see what you can find for 3k. You might have to make a road trip or 2...more but there are other options besides the Eastman that can be considered. (No rap on the Eastmans....
    I remember someone was selling a Robles in that price range out there. Don't know much about them other than it was built by a Mexican luth.
    I've found several instruments for 3k as I am looking in the same price range. Robertsons in NM and Upton in CT (will ship), in AZ. They're all factory basses out of Romainia or China. Personally I'm chasing a couple of Samuel Shen's here in Ohio.
    I also know of a potential deal on a bass from an American luth for a little more than your talking but it would be a long road trip (but hey, your young and full of energy). email me if you want details.
    I don't think dropping 3k on a decent bass is a bad thing to do in your position as long as you keep your bass and consider getting it fixed later on. You can always sell the one you like the least later on. If you invest in fixing yours now, you don't really know if you'll be happy with it in the end and if not, you won't have the bread to buy a new one.
    Just dont discard your instrument. You may really enjoy it later

The asthetics are your choice but look around at the better instruments on the web and in Double Bassist magazine. Those basses aint shiny but they are beautiful.

Lastly, the music major thing. When I was a young music major I was told by a great symphony player and "college teacher" that if I really wanted to be a symphony player, I should forget school and do nothing but study and practice.
    I also saw visiting jazz stars stand up and say "music schools aren't for students, they are for giving musicians jobs teaching..."

I would not recommend dropping school, but I would recomend thinking about a different major. You can still gain access to the schools music faculty and ensembles. The playing is the best benefit. Find a major that will translate into some decent green. (as a musician and a double bassist you'll need it.:)
    You'll might also consider taking as many evening classes geared toward adults as possible. Because the classes are geared toward adults paying with their hard earned bread, they tend to be more respectful of the students and there is more of a no non-sense approach to getting you through.
    I've found traditional colleges and particularly music schools to be more political and abusive of their authority.

Good luck and sorry for the long post.
  17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I have to disagree that the board let him down. He was making the same mistake that many new to the instrument make when looking for a new bass, although he already has one.

He has a carved bass that needs some work. He has no idea how much it will cost to fix the thing, and probably doesn't even know how good the bass actually sounds when it's all in one piece. We recommended that he drop the thing off at a luthier for an estimate, look at some basses that he may have access to, and when all of the details come in then make a desicion. Bad advice?
  18. Not really bad advice, I was kidding about that. But I remember what it was like at that age to want a new ax.
    Down to dollars and cents though, if the repair bill is significant, I wouldn't blame him for going for the new bass and fixing his later.
    Again, if he invests in the fix and still isn't happy with the result, he may not have enough bread at that point to do anything about it.
    If he finds a good value in a new bass (or new to him) he'll know he likes what he's buying and if he wants to sell it later, he might even make a few dollars. (I've never lost money on a DB)
    Or look at it this way, there's a reason 20 year olds don't buy sensible shoes.

19. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There's also a reason that 20yr old have parents that foot the bill, so to speak.

A new bass is not a lot of fun, and not something that I would recommend first for a young player. Having something that's already 'played in' will make learning a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

Some thoughts, though:

If the top is coming off his current bass for repairs, the thing will have certain characteristics of a new bass for a while. It'll be asleep every day when gets it out of the bag for a while.

If you let a bass sit, especially one that is already sick, the problems aren't likely going to remain where they are. Cracks will grow as it sits, etc.

Determine what he has and its value before any move is made. This bass may be fine after repair. It might blow. It'll be a hell of a lot easier to sell in working condition. It might also make a good flower box. Don't try to guess what it is with an unschooled eye. Get it looked at.

If he's in music school and brandishing The Stick much, then he'd likely be happier with an old, beat, wood bass over any plywood.

In his price range, if the current axe can be fixed while leaving change in his pocket, then fix the bass and invest the rest. When the time comes to get into a higher level bass he will appreciate his past foresight.
  20. You make great points on all counts but as you mentioned, we're getting into alot of assumptions
    (about the cost of the repair and the potential quality of a 3000.00 bass.)
    I definitely agree on getting the old bass looked at.
    Not only by a Luth but by the bass teacher as well to get their opinion on the bass's potential.
    Especially good points on the old bass getting worse. Maybe there's a middle ground where degrading cracks can be repaired for little enough to leave some room to manuever.

As for the parents... C'mon we gotta get this economy going.