andreas schroetter and gretsch basses ???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by leejohn01, Aug 26, 2001.

1. leejohn01

leejohn01 Guest

Aug 26, 2001
    I have a 3/4 carved bass with an oval label-"APPROVED BY Andreas Schroetter Markneukirchen Sachen". It was in a local school for many years. I'm guessing it's from the 1930's or older.

I also have a 3/4 laminated bass with a Gretsch label. No one seems to have heard of a Gretsch upright bass. It appears to be similar to an early Kay C-1.

Does anyone have any info on these basses?
  2. robw

May 14, 2001
    Long Beach, CA
    I have a 1980's Schroetter 3/4 size flatback bass. It's a hardwood bass (at least sides and back). It was also made in Germany, but I heard from someone that Schroetter is manufacturing basses in Romania now (unverified).

Anyway, I don't know much else about the manufacturer. I've seen new Schroetters listed in catalogs for Woodwind and Brasswind (http:\\ The models advertised seem to be decent student model basses. Hope this helps, and if you find anything more about Schroetter, I'd be interested to hear.
  3. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Schroetter is a trade name that could have been made anywhere by anyone. The 60's and newer seem to all say Anton Schroetter. My school had a c.1900 bass with the exact same label. It had a crack on the top and it's dove tail neck joint had shifted and needed to be reset. I recently helped them sell it to a guy who is fixing it up now. They were apparently made in Eastern Germany or Czechkoslovokia and aren't worth much money wise. Some can sound way better than they are worth and a luthier recently told me that he had never heard a Schroetter that sounded good. Hearing this one in the bad shape it was in, I would have to disagree, but no one will know until it is fixed, which will cost over $2000. His luthier thinks it is going to be a nice bass.

4. Barry Clark

Barry Clark

May 9, 2007
    Gretsch did have some uprights. My understanding is that Kay made them for Gretsch which is why it looked so much like a Kay to you.

I missed my opportunity for one. Just wasn't in the financial position to take advantage of the opportunity. Maybe again someday.
  5. rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    My 1st bass had a 1980' schroetter lable in it. It was a hybrid flat back. It was ok, but it was over built and didn't vibrate enough to put out much sound. It played ok, just not much sound. In 1982 I lived nowhere near a bass shop and didn't have TB to go for for advice. I ordered it by mail, sight unseen. I was later told that schroetter didn't make it, they just put the lable in. I could have done worse. I hope You have a better one that I had.
  6. roscoebeck

Jun 16, 2012
    I've just bought a Schroetter bass with the very same label. "APPROVED BY Andreas Schroetter Markneukirchen Sachen." It appears to be about 80 years old. Its a very good sounding bass
  7. Schoolhouse

Schoolhouse Thomas Andres- Bass Makers

Dec 7, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I'm familiar with a couple of the "Approved by" basses. They are well made, better than the average "German shop bass", have good wood, and have survived 80-90 years. The string length is on the long side. The Anton Schroetter basses, especially the laminates, have thin tops
  8. LyleRyan

LyleRyan Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a ply Anton Schroetter probably from the 60's. Nice looking Bass and feels well built. Bows well with a good setup.

It *is* overbuilt and doesn't put out much sound especially bottom. I don't think of the top as thin though, more the opposite on mine. Acoustically it's subdued.

But.... I had a Full Circle pickup put on, and plugged in, it's wonderful. Big, rich, even sound; all the clear bottom I need. With a little dampening here & there, I can play at Rockabilly volumes.