Andreas shark bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembic76407, Jun 13, 2004.

1. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Has anyone ever owned or played an Andreas Shark bass? how well does the aluminum fret board hold up? and does it play and sound good? I saw one two years ago and should have bought it but I passes

David T
  2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
  3. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Lyle, the bass on the web site you supplyed was the same body, but the one I played was bright yellow and had Alembic electronics and a aluminum fret board, I was at a guitar show in Dallas Tx. so I really could'nt hear the bass over the crowd noise but it seemed to be a well made bass. well maybe the aluminum fret board was an idea who's time has not come. but the rep said the bass would sustain for a week, I would like to get my hands on one. Another bass I would like to try is the Spalt bass
    the body and head stock are made from aluminum, this is a very strange bass, and I love it

David T
  4. rudetay

Sep 19, 2003
  5. the bass with the aluminum fretboard in the "basking shark" model. the one the maple fret board is the plain "shark". the basking tends to have visible wood grain in the body.
  6. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I have been looking all over for that bass. i saw it in BassNW a few years ago and couldnt remember who made it, the Spalt Bass that is. way cool!
  7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I think I have seen a steel-FB fretless - made maybe by LeFay? I think it was the LeFay Remington Steele or something...

There was once a thread about steel or metal FB fretless basses, and there was a mp3 clip there... it sounded quite good... :meh:
  8. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I went digging thru old threads searching for 'Andreas' and found this thread. I have an original Basking Shark 5 with aluminum fboard and Alembic AE-3 soapbars and pre. The tone is monstrous, the body is very comfortable, and it has amazing sustain. The fretboard plays great and is not like a razor on the sides as some people think. Unfortunately, mine developed a very slight wave in the neck causing fret buzz around the 5 fret and around the 17th fret. I am currently in the process of tracking down Mr. Pichler himself to get this fixed. I'd rather not have just any tech or luthier rip into this bass for obvious reasons.

The only dislike I have about this bass (besides the current fret problem) is the scale length. It's nearly 36" scale and is a bit tricky to get used to, especially when playing faster type stuff. Those extra 2 inches aren't terrible if you're playing slower type grooves. In that case, the extra length is definitely worth the extra tone.

As for the different models, this is what I was led to believe thru my research: Andreas Pichler originally made two basses- The Basking Shark and the Bull Shark. I believe the only difference was in the finish. The Bull Shark had a red to black burst while the Basking Shark has a tan/natural to blue-ish/purple-ish/black-ish burst finish.

Andreas Guitars was then bought out by Infeld (the string manufacturer I believe) and there was some basses made in the transition period. These were solid colored, usually bright colors like green, orange, red, yellow etc... and had sort of a rubbery tacky texture to the finish. They still maintained the aluminum board and Alembic guts.

Then were then cheapened up. They applied maple boards, cheaper non-Alembic electronics, and I believe they went to a 34" or 35" scale length. I know of a fellow TBer that owns a lime green 5er with aluminum board and Alembics. The only Andreas bass I've seen come up for sale, besides mine, was on Ebay. A gentleman from Australia had one identical to mine in the 4 string version and was asking in the $3500 range if I can remember.
  9. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
  10. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    That price is DIRT cheap! The seller's zero feedback is kinda scary, especially since he just started that user name yesterday (17th).
  11. nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    There was fellow trying to unload 2 here some time ago. He worked with the import company or something. I thought they looked really interesting. He was selling them for 1/2 or so.
  12. grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    I could hurt some people with that! .....
  13. drewfunk

May 10, 2010
    Olympia, Wa
  14. monkeyking

Feb 6, 2009
    I think that was actually our friend above, Moon Doggy, that was selling them. I was very tempted.

Never had a chance to play one, but they sure are cool.
  15. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Yes, I've got my 2 for sale. I will hopefully be shipping them off soon to someone who has a much better chance of selling them! I haven't had more than 1 or 2 serious inquiries through TB. I realize my prices are much higher than the one currently on eBay, but there's gotta be a buyer out there that wants a Shark 4 or 5 bass in excellent to mint condition (and from someone with much better feedback!).

There's no doubt about it; these are unique basses with unique tone, feel, looks, and quality. If someone is willing to take a chance on this guy on eBay, I'm certain you'll be happy with the bass. I'll be watching it!
  16. naruki

May 1, 2010
  17. nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    MoonDoggy, that 4 string sure interests me though I have never played one. I was at a 2002 NAMM show that had their booth, but it was mayhem and I forgot to play one. I can't see paying out 2 bills without at least trying it first. I really dig the design. Does it compare to anything neck wise?
  18. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    It's almost Spector or Warwick thick, but not quite. The overall shape is a flat 'D' shape and it's pretty comfortable.
  19. nagarjuna

Dec 10, 2006
    The Gunks, NY
    Thank you for the reply. I'm a Jazz bass lover. I hope you can move them, since they look great!