1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Andrew D'Angelo has brain cancer. *shock*

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tzadik, Feb 21, 2008.

1. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Have you guys heard this news? I am in shock. This is the Human Feel sax player. He is one of "the guys" on the NYC jazz scene and plays with everyone. Sadly I've never met him in person myself.

I have no money to donate, but I am putting together a benefit concert. Just wanted to make the link known, it has his amazing blog and a listing of concerts around the world and a link to donate in case anyone can. Like many of us he has no health insurance. Sucks, to say the least.

I am so bummed. I can't imagine how he/hsi family must feel. His blog and guestbook are like a who's who of modern jazz. Rosenwinkel, Chris Speed, Bill McHenry, Trevor Dunn, etc.

http://www.andrewdangelo.com/index.php

2. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    His situation is addressed (along with Dennis Irwin's), in this article. It seems like his prognosis is good if he can just have the surgery he needs, but he's got to be completely freaked out nonetheless. As if having a brain tumor isn't bad enough, benign or not, and then you have worry about where the money to remove it is going to come from? I was in the same uninsured boat for years and years until I got married. Sure enough, within the first year of being covered by my wife's insurance I was in the emergency room twice. Without the help of New Jersey's State Employee Benefit Program, I'd probably still be paying that s%*t off!

3. basstef

basstef

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    Sad news...I used to hang out with Andrew, Chris Speed and Jim Black both in NY and here in Italy, and Andrew is really a great person, other than a great musician. Some friends and I are organizing a benefit concert too in Ferrara, Italy on April 4th for raising up some funds for Andrew. Good Luck Andy !

4. Phil Rowan

Phil Rowan Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    For everyone in and around NYC, there's a great benefit for Andrew being held tonight at the Tea Lounge in Brooklyn (the one on Union St). Matt Wilson will be performing, along with Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant (w/ Chess Smith and Mary Halvorson), Whoopie Pie (w/ Mike Pride, Jamie Saft and Bill McHenry), and Jim Black (w/ Chris Speed, Oscar Noriega, and Trevor Dunn). Whether or not you're able to go, please donate (any amount counts) to Andrew by going to his web site (www.andrewdangelo.com).

5. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Sounds like a sweet event, Phil. Whoopie Pie and Trio Convulsant side by side...awesome. Everyone go for me! I'm in Maine.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Jeez. My heart goes out to him and his family. I will definitely donate. Thanks for the heads up. I also had a large brain tumor removed nearly 5 years ago. It is a very stressful thing to deal with, money considerations or not. I fortunately have insurance thanks to my wife. I saw the bills that the insurance company paid though and the cost was staggering.

We're pulling for you Andrew.

7. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Wow Fingers. I can't even begin to imagine what this must have been like. :( Thank goodness you had insurance....