Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Andrew Gouche in BP

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Hey crew,
    so i was reading my new BP magizine, and i was looking at gouche's article of him playing amazing grace. it looks very impressive, and i would like to hear it. is there a recording of him playing that?

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Haha! I was going to post the same thing. I worked on the transcirptions a bit, but it is hard to get a feel for the song without drums. The click of the metronome just doesn't cut it.

They have been posting clips recently. Hopefully they will add clips when they update the site for the new issue.

3. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Hey guys! I was feeling the exact same way. The rhythms look very tricky on paper; and they are, especially at such a slow tempo (56bpm).

I used my Power Tab Editor to input the bass part so I could get the flavor of Gouche's line. I had a few extra minutes so I added in the chords. I figured, "Why should I stop now, let's throw the melody in there too." There are no drums, but it grooves nicely. The melody and the bassline really play off each other. Gouche's bassline has a 9/8 feel instead of 3/4.

There are some errors in the examples.
    Example 1 Errors:
    1) measure 1 should be Gb, not G
    2) measure 4 should be Gb, not G
    3) measure 6 should be Ab, not A
    4) measure 7 should be Db, not D
    Example 2 Errors:
    1) measure 2 should be Gb, not G
    2) measure 14 should be Db, not D
    3) measure 15 should be 3rd fret on the grace note, not 6th

I visited the BP website and they weren't offering a sound file of these examples. Shame. Power Tab Editor is not the next best thing, but it works better than nothing. :)

Joe